none
Issues migrating some users RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hi,

    I am having a strange issue that I am not sure why it is happening and any information as to why would be greatly appreciated, My environment is a 3 DC network with a 3 way 2013 (CU22) dag and the new Exchange 2019 (CU2).

    Error 1:

    Migration rate:
    Error: MigrationTransientException: An error caused a change in the current set of domain controllers. --> An error caused a change in the current set of domain controllers.

    Error 2:

    Migration rate:
    Error: MigrationTransientException: Failed to reconnect to Active Directory server dc1.domain.local Make sure the server is available, and that you have used the correct credentials. --> Failed to reconnect to Active Directory server dc1.domain.local. Make sure the server is available, and that you have used the correct credentials. --> Active Directory server dc1.domain.local is not available. Please retry at a later time.

    I am able connect from all all the DC's from all the Exchange servers, without issues so I don't know what to look for?
    The strange issue is that this has not affected all my users just some?

    Thanks in advance,
    Gareth Vorster

    Saturday, September 21, 2019 11:19 AM

All replies

  • Hi

    Is this using the migration batch in Exchange 2019 or doing a simple move with PowerShell? sometimes a reboot of exchange servers fixes issues. Error states it has lost access to the domain controller DC1


    Hope this helps. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

    Sunday, September 22, 2019 6:41 PM
    Moderator
  • Hi GVorster,

    I find some similar error information as you provided above for your reference:

    Weird issue with exchange 2010 and domain controllers

    Cross Forest 2010 - 2013: Failed to reconnect to Active Directory server

    Failed to resolve the linked master account

    In addition, have you checked the event viewer to see whether there is any related error log?

    Regards,

    Joyce Shen


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

    Monday, September 23, 2019 6:53 AM
  • Hi Edward,

    I will try reboot the server angain, hever I dont seem to be having this issue on any of the 2013 servers only the 2019 Exchange. What is stranger is that it only seems to be affecting certain mailboxes on different servers in the DAG?

    I will get back to you in regards to if this has helped when I can reboot this server, I will try late tonight.

    Kind regards,
    Gareth Vorster

    Monday, September 23, 2019 8:03 AM
  • Hi Joyce,

    These dont seem to be the same, as I am running these servers on the same network segment and VLAN and need any federated trusts.

    Thank you for this info though I will see if there is possbile anything there that can help me slim this down a bit.

    Kind regards,
    Gareth Vorster

    Monday, September 23, 2019 8:07 AM
  • Hi GVorster,

    Is there any update about your issue?

    Regards,

    Joyce Shen


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:28 AM
  • Hi Joyce,

    It seems the restart has not helped my issue, I am still getting the error?
    I have managed to move a few more users however this is going very slowly and is trial and error on who can be moved.

    Kind regards,
    Gareth Vorster

    Wednesday, September 25, 2019 7:41 AM
  • Hi GVorster,

    What commands did you run on which server?

    Have you checked the event viewer to get any related error logs?

    Regards,

    Joyce Shen


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

    Friday, September 27, 2019 7:01 AM
  • Hi Joyce,

    I'm running the migrations through the EAC, I have tried a command that references the DC to be used however this did not work for me.
    I have however found something that seems to be working and it looks like it has something to do with the DB's on the server. Currently I have found that migrating a user to an empty DB on a server on the 2013 DAG and then migrating them again to the 2019 Exchange seems to run without issue.

    If this works for the next few I was having an issue with I will mark this as a semi answer as obviously its not fully right but at least it gets the job done.

    Kind regards,
    Gareth Vorster

    Friday, September 27, 2019 7:07 AM
  • Hi GVorster,

    Thanks for sharing this method.

    In addition, if you have any progress about this issue, post the updates here and if the issue is successfully solved, you can share your solution and mark them or the helpful reply as answer, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

    Regards,

    Joyce Shen


    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

    Friday, September 27, 2019 9:21 AM