none
Assigning specific tapes to specific Protection Groups RRS feed

• Question

• Hi.

I've recently recommended DPM2010 to a client of ours. They have a Overland Neo200s 24 Tape Library changer that uses a LTO4 tapes, and had the following tape change/ Backup schedules.

Monday - Friday (Working day Backups to tape)

Month End (last day of month backup to tape)

Year End (31' Dec backup to tape)

Daily Backup Tapes = 4 Sets of 5 Tapes (Mon - Fri)

Monthy Tapes = 12 Tapes (Jan - Dec)

Yearly Tapes = 1 Tape for each year.

The problem I'm having is that once a week, I have a "dumb" user who's only job is to remove the tapes from the library and send it off site. I would load the tapes at the beginning of every 2 week cycle, with week 1, week2 and the month end tape.

Is there ANY way (either through the UI or some clever powershell script) that I can specify that my month end backups go to a specific tape, and my weekly backups go to the weekly tapes.

Backup exec and other mainstream backup applications usually have an ooption to associate a backup with a media set, does DPM have that functionality or is there any powershell based script that can be implemented to give similar type of functionality?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Thursday, November 18, 2010 9:30 AM

Answers

• HI,

DPM does not have the concept of media pools that can be assigned to certain PG's.  It's a flat model, so any tape in the library can be used when needed based on retention range when co-location is enabled.  There are Pros and cons to this model, but basically we don't need to worry about not having a free tape because a media pool didn't have any.  You should "modify" the default tape label settings in the PG to help differentiate between weekly and monthly backup tapes. If you don't modify the the label name, then we just use PG-series# syntax.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:51 PM

All replies

• HI,

DPM does not have the concept of media pools that can be assigned to certain PG's.  It's a flat model, so any tape in the library can be used when needed based on retention range when co-location is enabled.  There are Pros and cons to this model, but basically we don't need to worry about not having a free tape because a media pool didn't have any.  You should "modify" the default tape label settings in the PG to help differentiate between weekly and monthly backup tapes. If you don't modify the the label name, then we just use PG-series# syntax.

Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, November 19, 2010 10:51 PM
  • Thanks Mike.

It's a bit of a different concept from our conventional methods (Symantec Backup Exec) but since it's been adopted it actually works much better.

Thanks for the Insert on where to label the tapes, ismall feature but it helps alot.

Cherio.

Friday, January 28, 2011 9:57 AM