none
Get-EventLog System -Newest 1 is not giving any output RRS feed

• Question

• Note getting any output from below script when I put Newest 1.. but when i remove Newest , i get the output.

why so..

I need only latest event id in output

Get-EventLog System -Newest 1 -ComputerName (Get-Content D:\script\serverlist.txt) | Where-Object {$_.EventID
    -eq 1074} | Select-Object EventID,MachineName,TimeWritten,Message

Please help or guide me on this

• Edited by Mr. Raj Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:23 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:23 PM

Answers

• You are requesting the newest entry, but then specifying you want event id 1074. If the newest entry doesn't have event id 1074, the command will return no output.

-- Bill Stewart [Bill_Stewart]

Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:29 PM

All replies

• You are requesting the newest entry, but then specifying you want event id 1074. If the newest entry doesn't have event id 1074, the command will return no output.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 3:29 PM
  • This is how to do this:
    Get-EventLog System -Newest 1 -ComputerName (Get-Content D:\script\serverlist.txt) -InstanceID 1074} |
        Select-Object EventID,MachineName,TimeWritten,Message

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Proposed as answer by jrv Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:52 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 4:52 PM
  • Still not getting ..

when I am tring .. getting below error :

Get-EventLog : No matches found
    At line:1 char:13
    + Get-EventLog <<<<  System -Newest 1 -ComputerName (Get-Content D:\script\serverlist.txt) -InstanceID 1074 |Select-Objec
    t EventID
        + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (:) [Get-EventLog], ArgumentException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : GetEventLogNoEntriesFound,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.GetEventLogCommand

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:13 PM
  • If there are no instance on any one comoputer then you wil get that.

Try it like this:

Get-Content D:\script\serverlist.txt |
       ForEach-Object{
            Write-Host "Querying $_" -fore green
            Get-EventLog System -Newest 1 -ComputerName $_ -InstanceID 1074 -ea 0
       } |
       Select-Object EventID,MachineName,TimeWritten,Message

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:17 PM
  • First, try reading the error message.

It says: No matches found.

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:18 PM
  • If you are using Vista and later you want to use the new log system or you will get issues.  The 1074 message is really a debug message.  It has an instance ID with a flag set.

Get-WinEvent does not have that issue as MS has fixed the query engine.

Get-Content computers.txt | %{get-winevent  -FilterHashtable @{Logname='System';ID=1074} -MaxEvents 1 -ComputerName $_}

This will find the event by ID correctly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 8, 2015 5:58 PM
  • Hi

Still not getting any data.. script is working fine and no errors found this time..

See below snapshot.

First I reboot server and then try to catch event logs..

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:04 PM
  • If you have Pre-Vista systems you will have to use Get-Eventlog.  Here is the translated eventID to the diagnostic InstanceID.

Get-EventLog System -InstanceId 2147484722 -Newest  1

The number is the decimal representation of the 32 bit hex value: 0x80000432

PS >'0x{0:x}' -f  1074
    0x432

PS > '0x{0:x}' -f  2147484722
    0x80000432

We can't directly use the hex because it converts in int64 and we want Uint32.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:10 PM
  • Here is one way to seek the instance when it is a debug event.

$EventID=1074
    $instanceID=[uint32]([uint32]1074 -bor 0x80000000)

Get-EventLog -LogName System -InstanceID $instanceID -Newest 1

There is one other mask that should never appear in a production system.  It is used to flag records that are inserted as test records.  THey are ued when we want to test a programms error capabillity but do not want the eventing system to retain them or act on them.  I believe it is 0x40000000.

We can also cascade ID.

$EventID=1074
    $instanceID1=[uint32]([uint32]1074 -bor 0x80000000)
    $instanceID2=[uint32]([uint32]1074 -bor 0x40000000)

Get-EventLog -LogName System -InstanceID $instanceID1,$instanceID2 -Newest 1

Without the Newest 1 this would return both kinds of records.

If you can use Get-WinEvent as it mmasks all of these to use true EventID.  It is alos much faster and more flexible.  As soon as WS2003 is ended Get-Eventlog is likely to be marked "Deprecated".

Get-Content computers.txt |
         ForEach-Object{
              get-winevent  -FilterHashtable @{Logname='System';ID=1074} -MaxEvents 1 -ComputerName $_
         }

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:29 PM
  • I am checking for windows server 2008 r2 servers.

But I am little surprise here , when I run below PS scirpt, it give me the output as required:

Import-CSV "D:\script\serverlist.csv" | foreach {
    $serverlist = $_.servername
    Restart-Computer $serverlist -Force
    Get-EventLog -LogName system -newest 1 -computername $serverlist | ? {$_.eventID -eq 1074} | Select MachineName,EventID,TimeWritten,message | Export-csv rebootlist.csv -Notypeinformation
    }

But the only issue is that I am getting full message details in output..

I am looking to catch this value "Shutdown Type: restart
    " from message details of event 1074.

If I can get this, would be great help...

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:37 PM
  • That is because you were lucky enough to have that as the first reecord in the system event log. Wait a sheil and it will start failing again.

Please take some time to learn how the event log works.  It willsave you a lot of pain later.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:41 PM
  • I am checking for windows server 2008 r2 servers.

But I am little surprise here , when I run below PS scirpt, it give me the output as required:

Import-CSV "D:\script\serverlist.csv" | foreach {
    $serverlist = $_.servername
    Restart-Computer $serverlist -Force
    Get-EventLog -LogName system -newest 1 -computername $serverlist | ? {$_.eventID -eq 1074} | Select MachineName,EventID,TimeWritten,message | Export-csv rebootlist.csv -Notypeinformation
    }

But the only issue is that I am getting full message details in output..

I am looking to catch this value "Shutdown Type: restart
    " from message details of event 1074.

If I can get this, would be great help...

You are now asking a new question.  Please mark the answer that you want or understand and open anew quesitonwith your new issue.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:41 PM
  • Thanks JRV..

Its working now..  please see my full script which I am using for reboot logs and event logs to be more sue..

Please make it more beautiful  and reasonable.. :)

Import-Csv "D:\script\serverlist.txt" |
    ForEach-Object -Begin {
        "Computer $_ initiated reboot at $(Get-Date)" | Add-Content -Path RebootLog.txt
    } -Process {
        Restart-Computer -Force -ComputerName $_
    } -End {
        Get-Content -Path "D:\gops\serverlist.txt" | ForEach-Object -Begin {
            Start-Sleep -Seconds 60
        } -Process {
            if (Test-Connection $_ -quiet) {"Computer $_ verified to be responding to ping at $(Get-Date)" | Add-Content -Path RebootLog.txt} else {"Computer $_ unresponsive to ping at $(Get-Date)" | Add-Content -Path RebootLog.txt}
        } -End {
        }
    }
    Get-Content D:\script\serverlist.txt |
         ForEach-Object{
              get-winevent  -FilterHashtable @{Logname='System';ID=1074} -MaxEvents 1 -ComputerName $_ | Select MachineName,EventID,TimeWritten,message | Export-csv rebootlist.csv -Notypeinformation
         }

• Edited by Mr. Raj Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:55 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:52 PM
  • To reboot multiple remote serrvers and wait for the reboot use a workflow.  It can do this better than any other method.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj574130.aspx

http://blogs.technet.com/b/heyscriptingguy/archive/2013/01/23/powershell-workflows-restarting-the-computer.aspx

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thursday, January 8, 2015 6:59 PM