none
Cache Limit in Project 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a standard or recommendation on what to set the cache limit to in the project client?
    Monday, October 5, 2015 7:37 PM

Answers

• I've had a different experience then Treb (so your mileage may vary)

In regards to 2010 (2013 I've had no issues with current customers; not sure if this was because MS fixed it or the deployment to users had the value set higher - but 50 mb was not large enough while using 2010, which was the default)

There is a benefit to it - if your organization uses project to mange larger projects (5000 + tasks) or you're managing several projects (50?).  

Several of my clients have had issues in project keeping the default settings (again using 2010) 

The clients who have been on 2013 have their cache limit set higher (maybe lesson learned from 2010 but I don't ask)

A couple of users, using 2010 and a cache setting of 50, tried to open large projects and would get application errors - once we changed the setting to 500 (or 1000mb) things worked great

just my .02 take it for what is worth

• Marked as answer by N Flynn Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:00 PM

All replies

• It's not a setting I've ever touched. There's really no benefit to messing with it unless you have reason or unless Microsoft support directed you to do so.

Treb Gatte, Project MVP | Blog | Twitter | CIO Magazine Blog

Monday, October 5, 2015 8:36 PM
  • I've had a different experience then Treb (so your mileage may vary)

In regards to 2010 (2013 I've had no issues with current customers; not sure if this was because MS fixed it or the deployment to users had the value set higher - but 50 mb was not large enough while using 2010, which was the default)

There is a benefit to it - if your organization uses project to mange larger projects (5000 + tasks) or you're managing several projects (50?).  

Several of my clients have had issues in project keeping the default settings (again using 2010) 

The clients who have been on 2013 have their cache limit set higher (maybe lesson learned from 2010 but I don't ask)

A couple of users, using 2010 and a cache setting of 50, tried to open large projects and would get application errors - once we changed the setting to 500 (or 1000mb) things worked great

just my .02 take it for what is worth

• Marked as answer by N Flynn Wednesday, November 11, 2015 4:16 PM
    Wednesday, October 7, 2015 5:00 PM