What is involved in the process of moving to a 64 bit environment? RRS feed

• Question

• Today, I help administer a SharePoint 2007 SP1 machine running on a 32 bit OS using a 32 bit database.

Microsoft's "Upgrading to Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010" document recommends that before beginning to deal with the upgrade to 2010, we already be running on a 64 bit machine and using a 32 bit database.

So are there any articles, white papers, case studies, tutorials on moving from a 32 bit based SharePoint 2007 server to a 64 bit?

The current farm is a single server providing the search, indexing, and web gui for the site.

I need for the result to look, to users, just like it looks today - no changes in URLs, etc.

I've never upgraded or installed SharePoint before, let alone been involved in an upgrade of the hardware, OS, or database.

Is there a particular order that would be best? Database first, followed by server?

Just trying to figure out how to do this without causing extended disruption of service (obviously there's going to be a day, or weekend, when things are being moved/reinstalled/whatever).

I appreciate your recommendations, pointers, etc.

Thursday, December 1, 2011 4:09 PM

Answers

All replies