Convert vmfs volumes to hyper-v RRS feed

• Question

• Hello to all ,
    i need to convert vmfs volumes from VMWARE to an Hyper-v .
    is there a best prartice for this ?
    thanks in advance .

Mkuriel
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 8:35 AM

Answers

• Putting all the replies together, you have an answer.

1) yes, you cannot convert the storage itself, you must convert the VMs (and the OS in the VMs)

Moving a VM from ESX to Hyper-V results i a hardware change for the OS in the VM - it has to move from a SCSI boot disk to an IDE.
    Older OSes don't deal with this very well (older than 2008 and Vista SP2).  And some Linux distros don't deal with this either.

2) Removal of the VMware Tools prior to conversion.

This is best practice.  SCVMM will actually rip the VMware Tools right out.  Other conversion tools require that you uninstall.

3) You do not need to worry about VMWare snapshots.

VMware and Microsoft have a very different snapshot model.  The Hyper-V snapshot model is a chain of divverencing disks htat are all linked together.  VMware creates a standalone copy when a snapshot is taken.  It is not necessary to delete the VMware snaphosts.

4) There are many tools that can do this for you.

Yes, there are many tools that can do this for you.  And fix the OS.  SCVMM is simply the Microsoft product, and actually makes the process pretty painless once you get it all set-up (that is what takes the time).
    Other products and options are just that - different. 

If you export your VMs to an OVF, then you can use Citrix Kensho to import direct to Hyper-V. 
    If you use SCVMM, then you must have Virtual Center.  If you don't have Virtual Center (ESXi for example).  Then you can use the option in the above sentence.

Many tools will convert from VMDK to VHD - and the value is in how they repair the OS, or how the OS in the VM deals with the hardware change.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:10 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:23 PM

All replies

• VMware vmfs is proprietary so this is not like upgrading a filesystem like FAT32 to NTFS.  You should use the VI/vSphere Client to access the data store browser for your VMFS volume and copy the files off the volume to a local NTFS volume or CIFS share.  

VMware file formats such as virtual VMDK disks and snapshot differencing disks are not compatible with Hyper-V, so you will need delete snapshots (commit) into the base VMDK files.  Separately you could use VMDK > VHD utilities to a format readable by Hyper-V

Rather than convert low-level file formats, you may be a lot better off going through a Physical to Virtual (P2V) process where the VMs are running live in VMware and use tools like System Center VMM or Disk2VHD to capture your machines as Hyper-V VMs.
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 3:01 PM
  • thanks for the quick reply.
    i am plannig to use scvmm for this job.
    so if i understood correctlly i am supose to delete snapshots into the base VMDK files , uninstall the VMWARE TOOLS from the VMWARE machine.
    after i will use the tool to V2V the VMWARE machine to the HYPERV machine.
    are there any other operaitons that i need to preform before the V2V from the SCVMM ?
    thanks again for the guidence in this matter.

Mkuriel
    • Edited by mkuriel Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:09 PM spelling error
    Sunday, January 10, 2010 4:09 PM
  • Hi,

You can have more detail by refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc793147.aspx.
    There are 2 way of doing it: either direct from ESX or from VMM Library.
    In every case, the virtual machine must be turned off. V2V cannot copy running virtual machines.
    laiys
    Monday, January 11, 2010 3:06 AM
  • Hello,

I don't think there is a direct conversion route, but you could certainly create a new Hyper-V cluster with CSV volumes.  You could then convert VMWare machines one-by-one into using SCVMM into the new cluster.

Here is the walkthrough: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb963721.aspx

Have a good day!

Nathan Lasnoski
    Monday, January 11, 2010 5:38 AM
  • Hi Nathan,

In order to direct from ESX, you need to have Vmware Virtual Center that is managing ESX server. The link :- http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb963721.aspx is applicable for VMM 2007. You need to refer to http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc793147.aspx for vmm 2008 and vmm 2008 R2.
    Hope this info help.

laiys
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:12 AM
  • thanks to all ... i will review all the data you gave me i belive that will do the trick :)

Mkuriel
    Monday, January 11, 2010 7:37 AM
  • Hi Mkuriel

http://www.starwindsoftware.com/converter

StarWind Converter is a downloadable V2V conversion tool for virtual machines. You can use it to convert VMDK to VHD files and VHD to VMDK as well as to IMG file which is a native StarWind format. This is a very simple but useful file conversion tool that will convert virtual hard drive images from VMware's VMDK format into the Microsoft's VHD format. It is a sector by sector copy operation from one format to the other. It does not modify the source image and will leave it so you can continue to use it. 

Gaurav Anand
    Monday, January 11, 2010 11:36 AM
  • Putting all the replies together, you have an answer.

1) yes, you cannot convert the storage itself, you must convert the VMs (and the OS in the VMs)

Moving a VM from ESX to Hyper-V results i a hardware change for the OS in the VM - it has to move from a SCSI boot disk to an IDE.
    Older OSes don't deal with this very well (older than 2008 and Vista SP2).  And some Linux distros don't deal with this either.

2) Removal of the VMware Tools prior to conversion.

This is best practice.  SCVMM will actually rip the VMware Tools right out.  Other conversion tools require that you uninstall.

3) You do not need to worry about VMWare snapshots.

VMware and Microsoft have a very different snapshot model.  The Hyper-V snapshot model is a chain of divverencing disks htat are all linked together.  VMware creates a standalone copy when a snapshot is taken.  It is not necessary to delete the VMware snaphosts.

4) There are many tools that can do this for you.

Yes, there are many tools that can do this for you.  And fix the OS.  SCVMM is simply the Microsoft product, and actually makes the process pretty painless once you get it all set-up (that is what takes the time).
    Other products and options are just that - different. 

If you export your VMs to an OVF, then you can use Citrix Kensho to import direct to Hyper-V. 
    If you use SCVMM, then you must have Virtual Center.  If you don't have Virtual Center (ESXi for example).  Then you can use the option in the above sentence.

Many tools will convert from VMDK to VHD - and the value is in how they repair the OS, or how the OS in the VM deals with the hardware change.

Brian Ehlert (hopefully you have found this useful)
    • Marked as answer by Vincent Hu Thursday, January 14, 2010 8:10 AM
    Monday, January 11, 2010 4:23 PM