none
import Data from Excel to MS Project RRS feed

• Question

• HI,

I have a portfolio with 35 projects in MS project. All project was included in the same file as subproject.

I am working with MSP 2013.

I tried to use the import wizard included in MSP but it works if I map the data from excel project by project but if I want to do the import/map/link or connection at the portfolio level (it means in the folder where I have the 35 projects). the wizard doesnot work.

I believe it is related that at the portfolio level, the import will change more than one table and if I do it at the project level it is working because the change is in one table.

As a key for merge I am using a text column where I have a unique coding, I tried ti use the unique ID no results as well.

Please let me know what do you think and what solution you think can be suitable for my.

RH

Thursday, January 25, 2018 12:58 PM

All replies

• HI,

I have a portfolio with 35 projects in MS project. All project was included in the same file as subproject.

I am working with MSP 2013.

I tried to use the import wizard included in MSP but it works if I map the data from excel project by project but if I want to do the import/map/link or connection at the portfolio level (it means in the folder where I have the 35 projects). the wizard doesnot work.

I believe it is related that at the portfolio level, the import will change more than one table and if I do it at the project level it is working because the change is in one table.

As a key for merge I am using a text column where I have a unique coding, I tried ti use the unique ID no results as well.

Please let me know what do you think and what solution you think can be suitable for my.

RH

Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:22 PM
  • Rid Hariri,

When you say "portfolio" what exactly do you mean? Are you in a Project Server environment? Is the portfolio remote such as SharePoint or OneDrive? Or do you simply mean that you have a separate directory and folder on your local drive that has all the files?

Please explain the second sentence in your first paragraph, "all project was included in the same file as subproject". What does that mean? Do you have a master file?

What exactly are you trying to import (i.e. what fields, etc.)?

Until we have a better understanding of what you have and exactly what you are trying to do, we can't be of much help.

John

Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:24 PM
  • Rid,

No need to repeat your post. Please delete this one.

John

Thursday, January 25, 2018 2:25 PM