Outlook 2010 shared contacts are not in address list & groups don't (automatically) update when contact info is edited RRS feed

• Question

• Re. Outlook Professional Plus 2010 - We currently have 2 concerns about Outlook that I can't seem to find an answer to... 

1) Shared contacts do not appear in the address list.  I figured out how to get (my) Contacts sub-folders to appear in the address list [via Properties - Outlook Address Book tab - check the box to 'Show this folder as an e-mail address book'] but there is no such tab/option on Shared contacts.  Does anyone know of a way to make this happen?

2) When a contact's information is changed/edited, it is not automatically changed in the groups s/he is a member of.  I found the 'Update Now' icon on the Contact Group/Members page, which did seem to then update it, but it would seem this should be an automatic thing!?  This process could be especially cumbersome if/when the person is a member of multiple groups - which I also didn't find to be automatically recorded anywhere in the contact info record.  I've suggested to our end-users to enter the names of any/all groups the person is a member of in the 'Notes' field from this point forward - as a reminder to also update those groups if/when changes are made to the contact.  Even still, it would be nice if these contact changes were updated automatically in any/all groups the person is a member of.  Am I overlooking a setting someplace?  Does anyone know of a way to automate this update?

Any ideas or suggestions are welcomed & would be appreciated.

Wednesday, February 9, 2011 8:50 PM

Answers

• In response to 1): you may find this helpful: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oloabpf.htm#displayother

In response to 2): your observation is correct.  There is no reliable tie between the entries in a Distribution List (i.e., what Outlook 2010 is now calling "Contact Group" after many years of labeling it a "Distribution List" and we MVPs telling people "Outlook doesn't use the term "contact group") and the contact records.  The "Update Now" button may work, but I find it best simply to remove the member and readd.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]
    • Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, February 11, 2011 1:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:52 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:13 PM

All replies

• In response to 1): you may find this helpful: http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/oloabpf.htm#displayother

In response to 2): your observation is correct.  There is no reliable tie between the entries in a Distribution List (i.e., what Outlook 2010 is now calling "Contact Group" after many years of labeling it a "Distribution List" and we MVPs telling people "Outlook doesn't use the term "contact group") and the contact records.  The "Update Now" button may work, but I find it best simply to remove the member and readd.

• Proposed as answer by Harry Yuan Friday, February 11, 2011 1:56 AM
    • Marked as answer by Harry Yuan Thursday, February 17, 2011 7:52 AM
    Thursday, February 10, 2011 9:13 PM
  • Thanks, Brian, for the information. 

re. 1) I read the document you referenced and have another question about it.  If I were to do this, when the original owner of the contact folder was to make changes to it, would those changes automatically appear in my 'borrowed' copy of it?  If not, this will not fully resolve our issue.  (We have an administrator who wants her secretary to be responsible for maintaining custom contact lists/folders, and she wants to be able to use them, preferably from the address book list, without having to worry about updating her 'copy' of it.)

re. 2) We'll advise our end-users to remove & re-add if/when using the 'Update Now' button doesn't reflect changes/corrections. 

Note to the Microsoft moderator - Could these items be submitted as enhancement requests?

Thursday, February 17, 2011 2:51 PM
  • Since you're accessing the other person's mailbox itself, not "borrowing a copy", any changes that person makes will show up for you as well, since it's the same mailbox.
    Friday, February 18, 2011 9:45 PM
  • I'm sorry. Is it just me, or is Microsoft making it ridiculously difficult to use a shared contact? Without going through all those hoops described on the slipstick.com site, the only way to email a shared contact is from the contact list, right-click on the contact and choose Create > email...right?  And if you need to send an email to two or more people from that list? Good luck with that. I sincerely hope Microsoft is considering some kind of update to simplify using a shared contact. 

Signed,

New to Outlook and kinda missing GroupWise (never thought I'd say that)

Wednesday, November 23, 2011 8:14 PM
  • i have 160 users that missing GroupWise...

Did you find a solution?
    Sunday, June 17, 2012 6:04 AM