PassThroughPaths additions for Office 365 + App-V RRS feed

• Question

• Reaching out to see if anybody else has encountered a similar situation to this...

I am assisting a customer that is using RunVirtual to hook Office 365 Click-To-Run to a connection group to allow virtualisation of Office add-ins. They are seeing some unexpected behaviour with a small but seemingly random bunch of users including (but not limited to):

• Applications crashing shortly after launching
    • Search not working in Outlook
    • Crash when saving documents that have been opened in protected mode

These issues are seen across a range of Windows 10 builds from 1607 up to 1803. It has been observed that the issues go away after adding HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Office to the PassThroughPaths key, however that blocks visibility of add-ins registered under HKCU so we are looking at a more granular set of paths to exclude.

I noticed that Office 365 Click-To-Run has it's own PassThroughPaths key with a bunch of extra paths not present in the App-V client registry:

• HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\OfficeSoftwareProtectionPlatform
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\OEM
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\OEM
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Xerox
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Xerox
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Fuji Xerox
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Fuji Xerox
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SQMClient
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EnterpriseCertificates
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Cryptography
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\SystemCertificates
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SecurityProviders
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\NetworkProvider
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\crypt32
    • HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\WinSock2
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppContainer

I assume these were added after they were found to solve various app compat issues, so it's perhaps a good idea to try and carry these across to the App-V client registry. The Winsock2 key in particular I already discovered previously as it stopped certain App-V apps communicating with SQL servers.

The next phase of testing is going to be to add all of those to the existing paths under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\AppV\Subsystem\VirtualRegistry with the addition of the 3 below, which should redirect most HKCU Office keys to the native registry except the ones used to register COM addins (we are not concerned with automation addins using the OPEN keys):

• HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common
    • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem\Profiles

If anyone out there has been down a similar path and ad to mess with their PassThroughPaths to fix any similar issues, I'd very much like to hear about them! Perhaps it's time to compile a master list and make them best practices going forward.

There doesn't seem to be much mention of this on the forums except for the following, but it's rather old and more of a question if Office 365 responds to the App-V passthrough paths key rather than discussing what should go in it:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b352d803-a358-42e3-94b7-d40285bb43e2/office-clicktorun-and-passthroughpaths?forum=mdopappv

Dan Gough

packageology.com

• Edited by Dan Gough Monday, October 8, 2018 3:43 PM
    Monday, October 8, 2018 3:41 PM

All replies

• Hi, we are not facing these issues you're discribing, except the Outlook Search issue... to solve that I added the following passthrough keys (which are not default):

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\DefaultProfiles

This way the outlook profile is created outside the app-v bubble. You need to reset the connectiongroup if it was allready created before adding there exclusions.

An other issue we are facing is a preformance degradation at runtime in office as soon as App-V hooks, especially on Server 2016. It gets even worse if there is an UEM sollution inplace like Ivanti. So I try to keep deploying add-ins at a minimum.

I have not tried those additional c2r passthroughpaths yet, will do this as soon as I can.

Roy Essers

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 7:51 AM
  • we also used that after discovering Outlook profile was inside in the bubble, hence the service desk guys couldnt see a outlook profile and confused the hell out of them.

We created around 20 addins using the a dummy file. Work well until the removal of some add-ins, breaking excel, we didnt have any more time investigating during UAT. In the end all the addins were installed onto vdi image and deployed/applied by WEM.

we are now starting the 1809 build and office2016 c2r, so will revisit and have a bit more time to investigate.

Wednesday, October 10, 2018 8:16 AM
  • Thanks for your input guys, if you're just starting out with the C2R version for the first time and you were unaware, you will need to apply a reg key to get the apps to launch inside App-V:

http://packageology.com/2017/10/fix-office-365-app-v-interaction

Dan Gough

• Edited by Dan Gough Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:00 AM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 9:00 AM
  • Yes I found out about the AllowJitvInAppvVirtualizedProcess regkey the hard way two years ago. It took MS support 3 weeks to come up with the solution.
    Anyhow if I recall correctly the key will now be created automatically if you start an Office product on Win10 1703 or higher (I still have it in my dummy package though which handles RunVirtual… just to be sure :)).

Roy Essers

Thursday, October 11, 2018 8:52 AM
  • I remember you saying that before, although I could not replicate it and had to still set it manually. I will remember to double check this at some point!

packageology.com

Friday, October 12, 2018 8:08 AM
  • Hi Dan,

We are experiencing exactly the same issue with RunVirtual links to Outlook in particular. I was wondering if you got any closer to compiling a master list to make them best practices. At the moment we have abandoned all RunVirtual links for Outlook but it is becoming more pressing that we re-enable these. 

Through all my research so far I have not found any more about this issue other than this link.

Cheers

Brent

Friday, January 24, 2020 4:51 PM
  • Currently I've got the following Passthrough list:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Bloomberg L.P.
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Exchange
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMClient
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMIntegration
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\MSCRMMsgStore
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office Test
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\16.0
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Common
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Lync
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlook\Addins\crmaddin.RibbonAddin
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OfficeCompat
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\OfficeMix
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows Messaging Subsystem
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Policies
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\AppModel
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Perflib
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WINEVT
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Office\ClickToRun\REGISTRY
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\WMI\Autologger
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\eventlog\Application
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Bloomberg L.P.

We've sequenced about 50 addins, and use user based RunVirtual for outlook/excel/word and powerpoint.
    So whats your issue?

Roy Essers

Friday, March 27, 2020 9:20 AM