none
How to recursively search for a file in a directory with dynamic folders name RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have a process that creates dynamically creates folder in a directory. The folder contains different files but I need to write a script to search the folders for a particular file name and copy the file to a different location. Since the process creates the folders with dynamic folder names like (81392, 81393, 81394...), it's kinda difficult to hardcode the path because I wouldn't know what exact path the folder the file will be created into. Is there a way I could search for the file in the directory? I tried using wildcard for the search but it didn't work.

$sourcefilename = "file.001"

$checksourcefile = get-childitem -path $sourcefilelocation\* -include($sourcefilename) | where-object {!($_PSiscontainer)}

In the $sourcefilelocation, a lot of folders get created everyday with dynamic folders name and the file I would like to copy is placed in one of the dynamic folders.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:09 PM

Answers

• If you know there will be 81* file names, try this

get-childitem -path "$sourcefilelocation\81*\*" -include($sourcefilename)

or even this get-childitem -path "$sourcefilelocation\*\*" -include($sourcefilename)

• Proposed as answer by Evgeny Fedorov Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dejip Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:33 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:11 AM

All replies

• What is "crates dynamically creates" a folder mean? 

If you have folders with different names then you either have to have a pattern to match or something like a createtime to find a folder.

Your question is very vague and confusing.  Your use of Get-ChildItem is quite odd and somewhat incorrect.

To search for a file in a folder just name the file:

Get-ChildItem "$sourcefilelocation\$sourcefilename"

To recursively search through a set of subfolders:

Get-ChildItem "$sourcefilelocation\$sourcefilename" -Recurse

Nothing else is required. 

Start here:

help Get-ChildItem -online

Before wasting a large amount of time you need to learn basic PowerShell.

Learn PowerShell  

Script requests
    PowerShell Documentation

PowerShell Style Guidelines

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:28 PM
  • Thanks for your response, I was basically saying the file I'm trying to copy is not directly under the $sourcefilelocation directory, hence why I can't use $sourcefilelocation\$sourcefilename. My main issue is that I wouldn't know the folder name because they are dynamically created and numbered.

The structure of the folder is like this: $sourcefilelocation\.....\$sourcefilename while the "..." would be a folder labeled numerically.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:47 PM
  • Nevermind, I figured it out. Thanks for your help though.

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:56 PM
  • This will find all files with that name in any subfolder of the initial path.

Get-ChildItem "$sourcefilelocation\$sourcefilename" -Recurse

\_(ツ)_/

Wednesday, April 11, 2018 3:58 PM
  • If you know there will be 81* file names, try this

get-childitem -path "$sourcefilelocation\81*\*" -include($sourcefilename)

or even this get-childitem -path "$sourcefilelocation\*\*" -include($sourcefilename)

• Proposed as answer by Evgeny Fedorov Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:12 AM
    • Marked as answer by Dejip Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:33 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 10:11 AM
  • I will try to explain this again.  A "recursive" search will search for the file in all subfolders.  This has always been true of Windows and was true in DOS.

In PowerShell:

dir c:\windows\test.txt -recurse

In CMD.EXE:

dir /S c:\windows\test.txt

This will start the search in c:\windows and recursively search for "test.txt" in all subfolders.  There is no need for wildcards or an "Include" parameter.  Windows is designed to work like this.

\_(ツ)_/

• Edited by jrv Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:38 PM
    Thursday, April 12, 2018 6:37 PM