Visual Studio 2013 Breaking User Profile RRS feed

• Question

• Has anyone ever seen this after installing Visual Studio on Windows 7 SP1 x64 Enterprise:

Installing Visual Studio through SCCM using:

vs_professional.exe /S

When a new user logs in they get:

The User Profile Service service failed the logon.

User profile cannot be loaded.

This exact same package works fine on Windows 10, and it has worked fine on Windows 7 in the past.  

Thanks

Monday, November 21, 2016 2:13 PM

All replies

• Have you tried simply resetting the user's profile by renaming or deleting their Profile.V2 or whichever version of that folder it is for them? Usually fixes that sort of error for me.

Hope this helps!

Rory Fewell

(CCNA, MOS)

Windows Server 2012 and Networking Fundamentals Apprentice

Visit my site!

View me on GitHub!

Monday, November 21, 2016 4:42 PM
  • That seems to have no affect. and it needs to be a Long term fix, this is in a lab environment.

Monday, November 21, 2016 4:44 PM
  • The way it "looks" to me is that VS2013 Overwrote a dll when it installed, possibly pertaining to the User Profile service.  Just a guess but still testing.

Monday, November 21, 2016 4:44 PM
  • Hi usgrcm,

According to your description, I find a similar problem in the link below. Please refer it to get more information.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/bbd93f69-4eb5-4226-8b5d-5764a8c26954/visual-studio-2013-breaking-user-profile?forum=w7itproappcompat

Hope it will be helpful to you

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 8:59 AM
  • Did you paste the wrong link? That seems to lead to this very same page - at least for me. :p

Rory Fewell

(CCNA, MOS)

Windows Server 2012 and Networking Fundamentals Apprentice

Visit my site!

View me on GitHub!

Tuesday, November 22, 2016 10:45 AM
  • Hey Everyone, Looks we may have found the issue.

There is a Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 version out there.  When it was installed the error did not occur.  

• Proposed as answer by Rory Fewell Tuesday, November 22, 2016 2:51 PM
    Tuesday, November 22, 2016 12:40 PM
  • KB4089283 and KB4336986 bring back the problem "The User Profile Service service failed the logon" with Visual Studio Premium 2013 installed!
    When installing the KBs, the path "\VSCommon\12.0\SQM\" is created in "c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft" containing some *.sqm file(s).
    These files are not copied to a new user profile (when a new user logs on the first time) due to insufficient rights on the file(s).
    Deleteing those file(s) in the default user profile solves the problem.

When KB4089283 is deployed via WSUS or WU in an enterprise environment with about 4500 client PCs, how should this be solved?!?!?!?

...the summer of "Deliver-Bugs-On-Patchdays" continues!

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsnetsetup/2014/05/23/new-user-logon-failing-with-error-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded-after-installing-visual-studio-2013/

• Edited by J. Juergen Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:12 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 12:27 PM
  • KB4089283 and KB4336986 bring back the problem "The User Profile Service service failed the logon" with Visual Studio Premium 2013 installed!
    When installing the KBs, the path "\VSCommon\12.0\SQM\" is created in "c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft" containing some *.sqm file(s).
    These files are not copied to a new user profile (when a new user logs on the first time) due to insufficient rights on the file(s).
    Deleteing those file(s) in the default user profile solves the problem.

When KB4089283 is deployed via WSUS or WU in an enterprise environment with about 4500 client PCs, how should this be solved?!?!?!?

...the summer of "Deliver-Bugs-On-Patchdays" continues!

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/vsnetsetup/2014/05/23/new-user-logon-failing-with-error-user-profile-cannot-be-loaded-after-installing-visual-studio-2013/

• Edited by J. Juergen Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:16 PM
    Thursday, October 11, 2018 1:13 PM