Windows Server 2019 and Windows Server 2016 in Active-Passive approach (High Availability) or Fail-over Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• If Primary Server has Windows Server 2019 OS and Secondary Server has Windows Server 2016 OS, is it okay if they will be in a HA environment or they will be clustered? Since 2019 has the same functional level as 2016. What are the best practice for this situation? Thank you.
    Monday, June 24, 2019 2:43 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for posting in our forum!

>> If Primary Server has Windows Server 2019 OS and Secondary Server has Windows Server 2016 OS, is it okay if they will be in a HA environment or they will be clustered?

As I understand, you want to create cluster with Server 2019 and Server 2016, if I misunderstand, please let me know.

According to official documentation, we need to ensure that all servers added as cluster nodes run the same version of Windows Server. For more information, please refer to:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/failover-clustering/create-failover-cluster

Hope this can help you. Please help me mark the useful reply as an answer. Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, June 24, 2019 5:47 AM
  • As Daniel says, to create a cluster, you must have OS versions the same on all nodes of the cluster.  The ability to have a mixed OS version is available only during the in-place upgrade of a cluster from one version to the next version.  Running in a mixed mode is a temporary configuration.  You should always upgrade all nodes of a cluster as quickly as possible.

Also, a Windows failover cluster always operates in an active/active mode.  There is no concept of active/passive.  You may consider your configuration to be 'active/passive' by how you manage it, but the cluster itself has no setting for active/passive.

tim

Monday, June 24, 2019 12:52 PM
  • Thank you for clearing this up :)

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:30 AM
  • Thank you for the additional information, Tim. This is understood.
    Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:31 AM
  • You are welcome!

BR,

Daniel

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, June 25, 2019 5:35 AM