Could not remove users permanently from a site collection in MOSS 2007. RRS feed

• Question

• Does anybody know why I was unable to remover user accounts from a site collection in MOSS 2007? I did exactly as the instruction indicated below, the name does not even appear in the "All People" listl. When I tried adding back the old user to the group, the name seemed to appear, but not in the "All People" section. It seems very odd.

To permanently delete a user from UserData table and permanently delete all of the user's alerts, do the following:

1. On the site collection home page, click the Site Actions menu, point to Site Settings, and then click People and Groups.
    2. On the People and Groups page, in the Quick Launch, click All People.
    3. On the People and Groups: All People page, select the check box next to the user who you want to delete.
    4. On the Actions menu, click Delete Users from Site Collection, and then click OK.

Monday, January 9, 2012 3:46 PM

Answers

• First, do not delete the user directly in the database because is not supported by Microsoft.

Second, the users will be stored in the content database forever. When you delete a user, using the steps that you have presented in you first post, tp_deleted field from dbo.userinfo table will change his value and that’s it.

If you delete the user from the database and you have connections with it in SharePoint (ex: documents, pages, articles etc) all those connections will be down.

MCITP|MCTS SharePoint| SharePoint Performance blog
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Hi asuperkool35,

When you delete the user, but the user is always in “All People” list. So ,I think there are may be some operations was lost. So, if you can’t achieve it by interface, I suggest you to do it with stsadm script.

Here is the script to delete a user from site.

stsadm -o deleteuser   -url <URL name>  -userlogin    [-group] <group>

About how to use the script, you can refer to the following link.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287928(office.12).aspx

Thanks,

Jack

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:23 AM
  • Hi,

What I suspect that they are getting added by NT Authority\authenticated users or any other security group which you might have added. Check this and do let us know

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:03 AM

All replies

• What you did is correct. Where you are viewing the deleted users in your site. In same All People you are able to view them, or the users are able to access your site.
    Thanks, Saravanan PRS
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 6:11 AM
  • From "All People" view, but for some reason, the deleted users still show up whenever I tried adding them back to the site as a test. Do I need to go in the database and permanently delete users from there? 
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 5:45 PM
  • You can always add users back to a site. When adding a user to a site you are pulling from your Active Directory (generally) when resolving names. Once added, users are then added into the userdata table once they have done something in the site. It is from this table that Sharepoint uses information to display the user name in fields etc. If you delete a user from the All users screen, the reference to them is removed from all lists and libraries within the site etc. But if you subsequently re-add them, then yes, you will see them again.
    Imagine what we could be...If we could just imagine. Daniel A. Galant
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:15 PM
  • But, what if I want them to be permanently deleted from the site collection and not want them to reappear anywhere on the site or lists. The users that I have tried deleting from the site collection were the people that have left the company for many years now. It is very strange situation that I have experienced. When I used to work with WSS 3.0 and it never gave me this type of issues.  
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:24 PM
  • First, do not delete the user directly in the database because is not supported by Microsoft.

Second, the users will be stored in the content database forever. When you delete a user, using the steps that you have presented in you first post, tp_deleted field from dbo.userinfo table will change his value and that’s it.

If you delete the user from the database and you have connections with it in SharePoint (ex: documents, pages, articles etc) all those connections will be down.

MCITP|MCTS SharePoint| SharePoint Performance blog
    Tuesday, January 10, 2012 7:51 PM
  • Hi asuperkool35,

When you delete the user, but the user is always in “All People” list. So ,I think there are may be some operations was lost. So, if you can’t achieve it by interface, I suggest you to do it with stsadm script.

Here is the script to delete a user from site.

stsadm -o deleteuser   -url <URL name>  -userlogin    [-group] <group>

About how to use the script, you can refer to the following link.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc287928(office.12).aspx

Thanks,

Jack

Wednesday, January 11, 2012 1:23 AM
  • Hi,

What I suspect that they are getting added by NT Authority\authenticated users or any other security group which you might have added. Check this and do let us know

Thanks, Rahul Rashu
    Wednesday, January 11, 2012 3:03 AM