none
MS Project Resource Conditional Sharing RRS feed

• Question

• I'm working with a company with a paint plant. I created a resource for the plant. Different tasks may share this resource, based on the color active on the plant. The plant has a limited volume capacity and painting tasks have always the same duration. So different task use an appropriate percentage of resource and are scheduled together, but I need that this sharing is available only for tasks using the same color. I'm looking for a way to have MS Project to do this automatically.
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 7:25 AM

All replies

• There is no way to automatically assign resources, it has to be done manually.

Sapna Shukla

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 8:28 AM
  • Sapna is quite correct; however, Project as a rich development environment (VB) which, if you know the algorithms and decision making rules on making assignments, you could write your own VB code to do what you are doing manually.  

--rms www.rmschneider.com

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 9:40 AM
  • Thank you for your attention. I'm not trying to assign automatically resources, but to have that two tasks with the same paint plant resource assigned, with an appropriate use percentage (let' suppose 30%), are not scheduled contemporarily if they use different colors. If possible, without using development (VB).

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 10:00 AM
  • In that case in resource sheet you can use Group field to represent the color of a plant, so this way you can categorize resources based on colors and then assign appropriate % unit for each color plants from your resource pool. Simliary create a text look-up field representing all colors of Task Type. Now split your pane into 2 views Gantt and Resource Sheet, in Gantt use Text field to filter on tasks of similar color and use Group field in resource sheet to filter resources of same colored Group. Now when you assign a resource to a task in Gantt view you would know which resource you need to assign. As for the resource units you can assign as needed and later use leveling options if needed to level them. This is one of the way you could do it manually.

Sapna Shukla

Friday, March 29, 2013 7:21 PM
  • I appreciate very much your effort in helping me to assign the right resource, but this is not the problem. I have only one painting resource and there is no doubt in assigning it. The problem is that this resource may use only one paint at a time and that many tasks may share this resource, is they use the same color but not if they use different colors. In that case tasks using a different color must wait for a chance to use the resource. So the problem is to permit or avoid sharing, based on color used by task. I'm convincing me that there is no trick to provide an automatic solution to this problem, without writing some software in VBA. Clearly I may use some custom field in tasks to permit grouping, but there are too many constraints regarding sharing and levelling that must be considered.
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 8:11 AM
  • I haven't completely thought this through for you, but maybe the resources is *not* the painter, but the unique resource is the painter with paint, e.g. "Painter with Color 1", "Painter with Color 2", etc. Or the resource is simply a paint color. You seem to be scheduling painting colors. 

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Thanks for your suggestion. Yours could to be a good idea. The problem is that creating different resources you may have Project to schedule contemporarily white and red and this is not an available possibility, because there is only one painting plant. The goal is to have that in the meantime "Painter with Color 1" is working, "Painter with Color 2" is not available. 
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:40 AM
  • Now you are back into the world of "automatic" assignment of resources; Project not that intelligent.  As I said up front, if you know the algorithm your mind goes through in making assignments, could implement that as a VB program.  Otherwise, need to accept that Project does not automatically assign resources.

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 9:44 AM
  • Dear Rob, as I said in my answer to Sapna, my conclusion is exactly yours. No chance to do the work automatically. No simple trick to overcome the natural behaviour of Project. The only way is to write some line of software. Anyway thanks for your attention.
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 11:51 AM
  • I guess its all about the way you plan to handle the scenario, based on the way you define your resources you could adjust your tasks, like Paint 1 Res 1 etc. its matter of preference whether you want to code it or do it manually. I would have still prefered to plan it manually, to have a better control over timelines and resources and for rest - tool has strong alorithms to show conflicts, overallocations, timeline issues etc.

Sapna Shukla

Wednesday, April 3, 2013 12:17 PM
  • Dear Sapna, in some way I agree with your considerations. What I had in my mind is to grant to users a simple way to assign resources, having Project to do all the work about sheduling. But this implies a basic tasks' representation capable to absorb all the constraints pertaining to the scenario, in such a a way that it can be handled by native Project scheduling tools. What is coming out is that Project is capable to manage only some kind of constraints and that I must look for a solution with VBA that interfere critivcally with Project native scheduling. I don't like it. But is seems there is no other solution to the problem
    Wednesday, April 3, 2013 1:09 PM