Secondary Sites Requirements--1K clients RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All-

I am installing a Stand-alone Primary Site for approximately 17K managed end-nodes.  I am reviewing the MS documentation for recommendations for installing a secondary site.   I understand network constraints but I am trying to assess the 'more than 500' managed end-nodes recommendation.  I have sites that have up to 1K end-nodes (workstations and servers).  Are/Have you installed a DP only at remotes sites with more that 500 nodes or do you determine this based on current network (MP traffic control, compressed client data traffic, etc.)?  If possible, I would like to avoid a secondary site  (avoiding db replication, upgrades, etc.) but will certainly install it if it best practice.

I would appreciate your insights and real-world experience.  Thanks for the help.

Thursday, March 15, 2018 8:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Did you need to install a SEC, considering the number of notes, meanwhile you should consider whether you need "Compress Traffic/Control Traffic", "Local Management Point/Software Update Point" and future expansion. 

If you have confidence on the bandwidth of 500 nodes and want to avoid db replication, you could just install a DP now,but please don't forget about the future expansion and the situation that you have to install a SEC.

Reference:https://allthingsconfigmgr.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/secondary-site-vs-distribution-point-vs-management-point/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AMRDC Friday, March 16, 2018 12:46 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2018 8:32 AM

All replies

• It's all about available bandwidth on the link versus the number of managed systems at the end of the link. I know of organizations that have 5,000 clients at a remote location only serviced by a DP with no secondary site involved because the link to that remote location is quite large bandwidth wise. Thus, without knowing the available bandwidth, there's really nothing definitive that should be recommended.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Friday, March 16, 2018 12:10 AM
  • Hi,

Did you need to install a SEC, considering the number of notes, meanwhile you should consider whether you need "Compress Traffic/Control Traffic", "Local Management Point/Software Update Point" and future expansion. 

If you have confidence on the bandwidth of 500 nodes and want to avoid db replication, you could just install a DP now,but please don't forget about the future expansion and the situation that you have to install a SEC.

Reference:https://allthingsconfigmgr.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/secondary-site-vs-distribution-point-vs-management-point/

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• Marked as answer by AMRDC Friday, March 16, 2018 12:46 PM
    Friday, March 16, 2018 8:32 AM
  • Thank you all for your quick and helpful response.
    Friday, March 16, 2018 12:46 PM