none
Grey screen with vertical lines game crashing

Question

• Hello,

I am getting game crashes that are not usual.When crashes happen cant go back to windows I need to restart my computer.When game crashes screen is gray with vertical stripes, most of time,somtimes is just black screen.I thought graphic card is faulty and took it for testing in store where I bought it but they couldn't find any problems and said that game I play causes crashing or some driver incompatibility.Game I play is World of Tanks.Game crashes are totally random it could happen after 15-20mins of playing,then I restart and for the rest of the day I don't get crashes.somtimes it crashes after 2 hours then I restart and could countinue playing.Can anyone help because those hard restarts cant be good for computer

Here is what it looks like:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C49767339BC71C08!160&authkey=!AO0YarQSpJowf64&v=3&ithint=photo%2cJPG

There are no files in minidump,but there are dmp files in LiveKernelReports folder

Here is LiveKernelReports folder:

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C49767339BC71C08!161&authkey=!AG2Wj9UtAbcE6zQ&ithint=folder%2cdmp

Here is my configuration

i5 4670

asus z87-c motherboard

Kingston hyperx 8gb 1600

asus radeon r9270x dc2top 2gb

Windows 7 64bit Ultimate

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 11:24 AM

All replies

• Hi,

for me it sounds like an overheating problem. To test, I would open the computer, point a large (table) fan at it and try if this helps. If so, temperatur probably is the root cause. Clean out all installed fans and install an additional casefan.

Also, there are third party utitilities that can read the temperature sensors of tour cpu and gpu and log those. (Asus has one, but there are many alterrnatives) This could help you determining whether it is indeed heating that causes the trouble.

needles to say probably you should update all drivers and firmwares and maybe even the game to reduce likelihood of faults in those items.

It also could be some other hardware related issue: test your RAM (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/diagnosing-memory-problems-on-your-computer) and test your gpu  (you iwll need a third aprty utility like "video memory stresstest"

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Wednesday, October 22, 2014 12:17 PM
  • Hi,

thank you for reply

My computer did overheat twice and automatically went on screen saying your computer is overheating.I opened computer case and cleaned processor(it was full of dust) and graphic card(there was no dust in it) and fans were quiet after that(before cleaning I could here fans and computer struggeling).That overheating happened during gaming,and after cleaning it,I have started getting those game crashes like I described in post before.I checked temp in bios after crashes it goes 60-63C(befor cleaning was 75C).Is it possible that processor is causing crashes and not graphic card?

I have done video memory stresstest there were no errors and I have tested RAM no errors there either
    • Edited by nikod23 Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:40 PM
    Wednesday, October 22, 2014 1:02 PM
  • Hi,

The latest dmps show that the crash is probably caused by : atikmpag.sys which is driver for ATI Graphic Card, I would suggest you update to the latest graphic crad driveror just reinstall as a test, you can manually look for the driver in the manufacture website.

And this is the requirements to run World of Tanks

http://worldoftanks.com/en/content/guide/general/system-requirements/

Would like to share it with you

NOTE This response contains a reference to a third party World Wide Web site. Microsoft is providing this information as a convenience to you. Microsoft does not control these sites and has not tested any software or information found on these sites.

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:55 AM
  • do you have other game to test to isolate game issue?

check event viewer maybe there is some information regarding this error

I suggest you also contact game manufactured for details troubleshoot to isolate setting or game installation issue

http://forum.worldoftanks.eu/index.php?/topic/362573-graphical-issues-using-a-r9-270x/

I also check your graphic card spec, its meet requirement to running this game, maybe update your driver to check

• Edited by britishdhez Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:55 AM
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 5:55 AM
  • I have played game without problems on max settings, until last month when crashes started,i tried drivers nothing worked.
    Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:49 AM
  • I only play world of tanks,i could play other game to see if it happens there.I have contacted game support and tried drivers,reinstalling game,deliting some files but nothing worked.Could processor overheating cause screen like on my first post?

Thursday, October 23, 2014 8:56 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, when the processors and other components of your computer heat up when you do some jobs such as playing video games, it can cause symptoms such as a flickering screen to happen occasionally or continuously

Yolanda Zhu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, October 27, 2014 1:48 AM
  • fans and heatsinks quickly collect dust.

check the fans and heatsinks...

and also as I suggested before: use a large tabletop fan pointed at you opened computer case and play the game that always crashes your computer. If the game does work correctly this way, it is defenitely a temperature (dust?) problem.

MCP/MCSA/MCTS/MCITP

Monday, October 27, 2014 11:28 AM
  • i have the same problem.

i went to amd catalyst control

enable grafic overdrive.

and enabled manual fan setting.

set it to 100 % 

i am testing right now.

ps. i play wot on full setting. 

have 4 case fans on full and clean my case every 3 months. with aircompressor. 

if this doesnt work.  im buying an new videocard.   it is REALLY  anyoing me 

game keeps crashing.

Sunday, June 14, 2015 1:26 PM
  • By CPU overheating you would experience throttle and not grey lines, so this is certainly not that.  I have a similar problem on a T100TA tablet, grey bars on black background appear for a sec and after that the tablet turns off. I think this is something hardware related, probably CPU issue, because the TPM chip in the CPU could not start according to the logs and the Intel CPU diagnostics crashes.

Wednesday, January 3, 2018 8:17 PM