Problems opening word files with Word 2011 from a Windows 2012 server volume RRS feed

• Question

• Here is what we are seeing. Open any Word document on our server with Word 2011 (mac) results in an excruciating delay. Even a  simple one page document will take over a minute to open up. The same document opened from the desktop of the mac opens in 2 seconds. 

In troubleshooting this I turned on invisibles for my mac and watched the folder on the server where the file resides. Here is what I noticed.

1. If I open that file from a windows computer there is an invisible temp file created for the file that disappears when I close the document. The file opens on the Windows 7 machine with Office 2010 very quickly (2 seconds)

2. If I open the file from my mac with the preview of Word 2016 the same temp file is created and the file opens very quickly. (2 seconds).

3. If I open the file from my mac with Word 2011 it takes over a minute and I don't get a temp file on the server. Closing the document takes just as long.

So, what I am guessing is that Word 2011 is trying to create the temp file, tries for a minute, and finally gives up and opens the file anyway. When I close the file I am guessing it is looking for that temp file and finally gives up after a minute and closes the file anyway. 

Any insights as to what is going on would be appreciated. Our users are very frustrated with this situations.

Wednesday, March 18, 2015 5:55 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Since the issue only occurs to Word for Mac, I'm not familiar with the mechanism how it opens a file, we mainly supports Office for Windows in this forum. Please post the question in Office for Mac forum for further assistance:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

Regards,

Melon Chen
    TechNet Community Support

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs. Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 6:11 AM