Office Communicator 2007 R2 to Skype for Business 2015 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello, 

My company is in the process of planning to switch to Skype for Business 2015 from OCS 2007 R2. I am trying to narrow down a few items before we make the jump. 

First, what is the best way to get a count of the user CALS that we currently have in place? 

Second, What is the best way to find out if the user CALS from OCS 2007 R2 can be used with the SFBS 2015?

I have tried searching these topics on the web but have not found anything helpful.

Thanks!

Monday, October 1, 2018 3:38 PM

Answers

• Hi ,

What is the best way to get a count of the user CALS that we currently have in place? 

Firstly, you should determine which certificate to purchase based on the features the user needs, three are three kinds of CALS

Standard CAL: Standard CALs are basic client access license which enable users or devices to connect Skype for Business Server and provides basic features such as IM/Presence, peer-to-peer VOIP and HD Video, and skype connectivity.

Enterprise CAL: Enterprise CALs provide additional features to Standard CALs and Standard CALs are prerequisite for Enterprise CALs. It provides scheduled and impromptu meetings with audio and video calling, desktop and application sharing, and dial-in conferencing on mobile phones, tablets, PC and Mac.

Plus CAL: Plus CALs are additional CALs and required only for Enterprise Voice features, and Standard CALs are prerequisite for Plus CALs. It enables PSTN in/out, emergency calling, and other enterprise-grade phone features.

It’s very likely if you have an enterprise agreement that you buy an all up Enterprise CAL Suite which covers multiple products, including Skype for Business Standard and Enterprise CAL. The Plus CAL is still required on top of an Enterprise CAL Suite.

On top of server and user CALs you can pay software assurance, which gives you the rights to keep using the latest versions as they become available. This is likely to be somewhere between 20% and 30%.

What is the best way to find out if the user CALS from OCS 2007 R2 can be used with the SFBS 2015?

I suggest you to contact your vendor, they will give you an appropriate reply.

Best Regards,
    Leon Lu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 7:06 AM