Windows 7 shared printer no longer accessible from Windows 10? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a small office with three computers in a workgroup configuration. Two of the computers are Windows 10 (one being where all the shared files are stored) and one is a Windows 7 computer. The Windows 7 computer has a shared HP Laserjet 4 printer and up until a couple days ago the one Windows 10 computer could print to the Laserjet on the Windows 7 computer with no problem and has been doing so for at least two years.

Here are the things that I checked: The Windows 7 computer's network type is set to a "Work" network; the Windows 10 computer is set to "Private". Both computers have network discovery and filesharing turned on and their workgroup name is the same. On the Windows 10 computer in the credentials manager the proper credentials have been entered to give that computer access to the printer on the Windows 7 computer. I checked the sharing and security properties of the printer on the Windows 7 computer and they seem to be correct.

On the Windows 10 computer when I attempt to browse the network I can't see either the Windows 10 file server or the Windows 7 computer although the mapped drive to the computer with shared files seems to work fine.

Any ideas?

Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:51 AM

Answers

• I finally found a solution to this problem, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-kb4480960-and-kb4480970-updates-causing-network-and-license-problems/ I find it incredible that almost a month goes by and not a single Microsoft MVP comes up with the correct answer and that I have to find it on a different website.

For those who also have this problem, this command from an elevated command prompt should fix the problem on the Windows 7 computer:

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system /v LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

• Marked as answer by NormAtHome Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:23 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:23 AM

All replies

• Hello Dear,

Please follow this process:

1. Enter Devices and Printers in the search box, and then tap or click Devices and Printers.

2. Under Printers, press and hold or right-click the printer you want to share, and then select Printer properties.

If you don't see the printer you want to share, you'll need to add it. For info, see Install a printer.

3. Tap or click the Sharing tab.

4. If you see a button that says Change Sharing Options, tap or click it. You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.

5. Select Share this printer.

6. Tap or click OK.

Thanks & Best Regards,
    Abhishek Sachdeva

Please mark the reply as an answer if you find it is helpful.

Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:55 AM
  • Huh? As I said the printer is shared already and has been for the last three years, telling me to share a printer that is in fact already shared is in no way helpful.
    Thursday, January 17, 2019 4:44 AM
  • hi,
    1 can you ping the hostname  of win7 computer on problematical win10 ?
    2 can you ping the ip address  of win7 computer on problematical win10 ?
    3 turn off the firewall on win7 ,if you create a folder and share this folder on win7,can you enter
    enter windows+R ,in run box then enter \\win7computername to see the shared file and shared printer on win10 ?

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 17, 2019 2:41 PM
  • Yes, I can ping the host name of the Windows 7 computer from the problem Windows 10 computer; likewise I can ping the Windows 7 computer by it's IP address.

I just checked to be sure but I had in fact already turned the Windows Firewall on the Windows 7 computer off during my initial troubleshooting (and it's still off) so that was already done. I created a folder and shared it; when I attempt to try "\\XPS400" in a run command on the problem Windows 10 computer I get "Invalid handle".

Thursday, January 17, 2019 6:04 PM
  • hi,
    can you try to use another win 10 to access the shared folder on win7 , if the result the same ,issue may cause by win7.
    if the another win10 can access the shared folder on win7 ,the issue is from the first win10 computer.
    we can use below document to fix system file on win7 or win10
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929833/use-the-system-file-checker-tool-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, January 18, 2019 11:40 AM
  • I've been continuing to work on this problem and I haven't made any headway. Both Windows 10 computers can see the Windows 7 computer while browsing the network and vice versa; I removed the credentials for the Windows 7 computer from one of the Windows 10 computers credentials manager and double clicked on the Windows 7 computer while browsing the network, I was prompted for a user name and password which I entered correctly and I received an error "\\XPS400 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource." and under details "The handle is invalid". On this Windows 10 computer I ran sfc /scannow with no errors; I also ran dism and it didn't find any problems in the component store.

As I've mentioned this Windows 10 computer has been able to access this shared printer on the Windows 7 computer for 2-3 years with no problem and it just suddenly lost access in the last month.

Any idea's?

Thursday, February 7, 2019 12:24 AM
  • I found this in another thread where people are complaining of Windows 10 computers no longer able to access shared resources on a Windows 7 machine; the claim is that this update "KB4480970 "Security Update for Microsoft Windows"" is what's causing the problem and removing it solves the problem but what happens when Windows update just installs it again?

Thursday, February 7, 2019 3:40 PM
  • I finally found a solution to this problem, https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/microsoft/windows-kb4480960-and-kb4480970-updates-causing-network-and-license-problems/ I find it incredible that almost a month goes by and not a single Microsoft MVP comes up with the correct answer and that I have to find it on a different website.

For those who also have this problem, this command from an elevated command prompt should fix the problem on the Windows 7 computer:

reg add HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\system /v LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

• Marked as answer by NormAtHome Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:23 AM
    Wednesday, February 13, 2019 4:23 AM