Windows 7 64 Bit - Have to restart computer to re-initiate sound. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

This seems to be happening more frequently recently. Basically i use a Line 6 UX 8 USB sound device and my computer will, for no apparent reason stop sound from playing. 

Two things i have noticed seem to be consistent each time

1. I have youtube open playing videos

2. I also have iTunes open (though i don't play audio from iTunes when i'm viewing youtube videos and vice versa)

It seems to be that i will click on a youtube video and the video will play with no audio, then when i go to my iTunes it will refuse to play any audio files. By this i mean that i click play, it tries to play  the file but cant and then reverts to not playing (if that makes sense).

but then other times youtube will play whilst iTunes is open and no problems arise..

I've tried running the audio troubleshooter and it cannot find anything wrong with the soundcard and everything seems to be working properly.

The only thing that seems to work each time is restarting my computer, which as you can imagine gets a little frustrating....

Can anyone suggest anything? is there a chance that some youtube videos are causing a compatibility issue with my itunes?

My browser is Google Chrome

any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated as i mainly use my computer as part of my home recording setup and this sporadic sound loss issue worries me!!

Saturday, January 22, 2011 8:42 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

When did this happen?

Did you make iTunes as your default player?

How about this issue in Safe Mode with networking?

Do not choose iTunes as the default player to check if the issue persists.

If it doesn’t exist in safe mode with networking, please try a Clean Boot to find the cause.

You can also reinstall the iTunes in case some applications change the settings in it.

In addition, if the issue persists, a system restore could help you restore to the time point that everything worked fine.

Regards,

Miya
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, January 31, 2011 8:04 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:15 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Thanks for the post!

When did this happen?

Did you make iTunes as your default player?

How about this issue in Safe Mode with networking?

Do not choose iTunes as the default player to check if the issue persists.

If it doesn’t exist in safe mode with networking, please try a Clean Boot to find the cause.

You can also reinstall the iTunes in case some applications change the settings in it.

In addition, if the issue persists, a system restore could help you restore to the time point that everything worked fine.

Regards,

Miya
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. | Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Miya Yao Monday, January 31, 2011 8:04 AM
    Tuesday, January 25, 2011 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

I have looks like your story, but with a little bit different landscape.

First, You don't need to restart your comp each time. You need to restart 'Windows Audio' service.

I have Windows 7 64 bit and HD Sound Tool application has two different devices:

1) Speakers

2) Headphones.

I can't set Headphones as default device. So, when I plug in my headphones first time everything is fine until I get a message from Skype or Office Communication. If I'm listening music on my headphones, the arrived message will switch all sounds to speakers. 

If I will speak by voice application (Skype and etc), it will not recognize my plugged in headphone jack and plays any sound through speakers.

The latest solution which I found - RESTART 'WINDOWS AUDIO' service.

Does somebody know how can I fix it? 

Wednesday, July 13, 2011 10:06 AM