Desktop Folders Do Not Maintain Properties RRS feed

• Question

• I like to keep desktop icons, grouped by categories, in desktop folders. In Win XP and earlier versions, I was able to set the properties of each folder independently of all others. I set the folder displays to be wide and narrow ( 1 icon high) with minimum layout options -- in other words, folders containing nothing other than icons for that group.

I Windows 7 I cannot seem to set the properties of each folder to be persistant -- each time I open a folder or a copy of Explorer the properties of the last opened folder are applied to the newly opened item.  The properties set in one intstance applies to all following instances.

What am I missing? Suggestions and help please,

Sunday, May 16, 2010 4:57 PM

Answers

• Diogenes382 schreef op 16-5-2010 18:57:

I Windows 7 I cannot seem to set the properties of each f older to be persistant -- each time I open a folder or a copy of Explorer the properties of the last opened folder are applied to the newly opened item.  The properties set in one intstance applies to all following instances.

It's a known issue, solved by  ShellFolderFix - Manage folder window positions/size
    http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/40916-shellfolderfix-manage-fol der-window-positions-size.html

karelV [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, May 17, 2010 3:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:41 AM
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:48 PM

All replies

• Diogenes382 schreef op 16-5-2010 18:57:

I Windows 7 I cannot seem to set the properties of each f older to be persistant -- each time I open a folder or a copy of Explorer the properties of the last opened folder are applied to the newly opened item.  The properties set in one intstance applies to all following instances.

It's a known issue, solved by  ShellFolderFix - Manage folder window positions/size
    http://www.sevenforums.com/customization/40916-shellfolderfix-manage-fol der-window-positions-size.html

karelV [MVP - Windows Desktop Experience]
    • Proposed as answer by Ronnie VernonMVP Monday, May 17, 2010 3:03 AM
    • Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:41 AM
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 7:48 PM
  • Hi,

Please, find below instruction to answer the question:

The most effective way is adjusting the Icon size in the Window Color And Appearance dialog box for non-Aero themes.(In the Start menu search box, type color.Then click Change Window Colors And Metrics.) The Size setting for the Icon item, curiously enough, does not change the size of icons. The Size setting does change the icons’ spacing, however.Reducing the value from the default 32 to 16 (the minimum) produces a compact icon display without sacrificing readability.You can also change the spacing, of course, with the Icon Spacing (Horizontal) and Icon Spacing (Vertical) items, which have a default value of 43.

Change Desktop Icons size; right-click the desktop, click View, and select a size.

Bart

Bart Kurowski IT Support Analyst, MCP, MCTS, MCITP, MCAS
    Sunday, May 16, 2010 8:33 PM