Windows 7 Manage Accounts Screen Blank RRS feed

• Question

• I have been working on this problem for quite some time and so far have only been unsuccessful.

The area where you are supposed to select the user to manage is blank. I am also unable to create a new account through the control panel's create new user screen. When type in the name and click "create account" the window returns to the "manage accounts" screen and nothing happens. The account is not created. I know there are several ways to create a user account.

My goal is not to create/delete/modify a user as much as it is to fix this problem. This happens to be an image that is deployed to several people in my company and is has A LOT of software so reinstalling a fresh copy of windows it not an option. Also, there are no system restore points so that is not an option.

I've tried

• creating new accounts
    • safe mode
    • repair install
    • sfc /scannow
    • disabling all non microsoft services at startup
    • disabling/enabling user account control
    • registering jscript.dll and many others (see old thread)
    • Using the default admin account
    • Full virus scan with more than one type of protection
    • The list goes on

I know I'm not the only one with this problem from reading other forums. I've searched and searched and the only solutions I've found online are workaround and people who do system restores.

Here is a link to the old thread http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-security/windows-7-manage-accounts-screen-blank/766d535f-3a7d-425d-a0b4-65778dcda0d5

I'm leaning towards it being a scripting problem but I'm open to any other ideas. I need to find something that isn't a workaround. Any help is appreciated.

Josh

Friday, May 18, 2012 5:44 PM

All replies

• Josh,

Using Process Monitor is a good idea in this case. Capturing the Create Account button action might give us a clue. See this tutorial on how to use/capture using Process Monitor.

How to Use Process Monitor to Track Events and Generate a Log File

You may upload and post the link to the log file here if you want me take a look.

Ramesh Srinivasan | The Winhelponline Blog
    Microsoft MVP, Windows Desktop Experience

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:45 AM
    Answerer
  • Process monitor is something that I've spent quite a bit of time on trying to solve this problem. I haven't been able to pinpoint anything too suspicious but that would be awesome if I could get a second opinion. I'll get you a filtered log file in a little bit.

Thanks for the help!

Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:00 PM
  • Is there an easy way to post my log file on this thread?
    Wednesday, May 23, 2012 7:18 PM
  • Josh,

You may compress/zip the file and upload to a free file hosting service like SkyDrive or some other service, and post the link here.

Pls ensure that the timing of log capture is correct when using Process Monitor, else it can't be of use.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 3:34 AM
    Answerer
  • http://www.filefactory.com/file/i6dewhu3czl/n/Logfile_PML

Here is a filtered log. Specifically I filtered a bunch of unrelated processes and everything with result = success.

I can also get you an unfiltered log if nothing pops out at you or you think that would be more useful.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 12:28 PM
  • While investigating this problem further I realized the system also has a different problem but I'm making a second thread for it, as there is no indication that it is related. Here is the link...

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/a1e9f58d-cc4a-4102-b843-3a68518f6a78

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:31 PM
  • While investigating this problem further I realized the system also has a different problem but I'm making a second thread for it, as there is no indication that it is related. Here is the link...

Answered there.

Thursday, May 24, 2012 2:44 PM
    Answerer
  • http://www.filefactory.com/file/i6dewhu3czl/n/Logfile_PML

Here is a filtered log. Specifically I filtered a bunch of unrelated processes and everything with result = success.

I can also get you an unfiltered log if nothing pops out at you or you think that would be more useful.

Yes. Unfiltered log would be better. Pls close all applications and run the capture, so as to reduce the "noise" in the log file. Also, enable the "Sequence Number" field and note down the number (and include it in your reply) just before you click "create account" button.... so that I can skip the entries before that when reading the log.

Friday, May 25, 2012 7:03 AM
    Answerer
  • Here is an unfiltered event where I try and create a user. I click the create user button right around sequence number 7300.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/6hj25q2ex8p9/n/UnfilteredLogfile_PML

Friday, May 25, 2012 12:54 PM
  • Hi,

lsass.exe and dllhost.exe processes are not shown in the capture, rest all appears fine. What's the UAC status in the system? And, does it work fine if you enable the built-in Administrator account and create user accounts from there?

Saturday, May 26, 2012 3:59 AM
    Answerer
  • UAC is off. I have tried turning it on and it didn't seem to make a difference. Also I have tried making an account from the Administrator account and that didn't seem to make a difference either. As for dllhost and lsass, they should have been running and that was an unfiltered log. Maybe they just didn't have any events? It was a short time period for the capture also. Maybe I should try capturing a different event like when the manage user account screens starts to load?
    Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:14 PM
  • My mistake. Dllhost.exe was there in the log. lsass.exe wasn't. Yes. Let's see if lsass.exe encounters any Access Denied errors, by capturing another log.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 12:22 PM
    Answerer
  • http://www.filefactory.com/file/3uubrtgj9791/n/Logfile.PML

This should be an unfiltered logfile Where I open up the control panel > user accounts > manage another account > create new account.

The file is a bit larger than the other log file because it is longer.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012 5:00 PM
  • To add to the list of things I've tried to fix the problem, I tried uninstalling ALL updates including SP1. It didn't help at all and I still have the exact same problem. Did you see anyting unusual in the logfile?

Wednesday, May 30, 2012 5:55 PM
  • After I uninstalled all updates I started uninstalling all software on the system. It turned out it was a piece of Siemens automation software that was causing the problem. When I go to uninstall it the uninstall promts me with a message along the lines of "In order to uninstall a restart is reqired to change a very important windows setting." So I uninstalled it and both of my problems are gone. Specificly the software was SIMATIC STEP 7-Micro/WIN V4.0.8.06. I still like to know what "very important windows setting" was causing this problem but at least I know the source of the problem. Our service people will have to run this software in a VM.

I'll post this in the other thread.

Thanks for the help,

Josh

Thursday, May 31, 2012 2:30 PM
  • Just took a glance at the log. The only Siemens related process running was :

C:\Program Files\Siemens\SIMATIC WinCC flexible\WinCC flexible 2007\HmiSmartStart.exe" /startup

May be terminating it would have helped?

Thanks for the update Josh. I wouldn't have narrowed it down.

Thursday, May 31, 2012 5:30 PM
    Answerer