HP Servers and Hyper-V - endless spinner, can't use Hyper-V RRS feed

• Question

• I have a couple of HP DL310e cuties Gen8 and different DL5xx/380p Gen8 for testing purposes but it seems there is a bug.
    I can't activate Hyper-V on them. After installing the base System they show me the spinner endless if I'm trying to activate the Hyper-V role and they reboot the second time.

Does anyone have the same expirience?

Thursday, May 14, 2015 7:00 PM

Answers

• Hi Enrico,

According to your description, you installed Hyper-V Server Technical Preview 2, and got issue to activate the Hyper-V role.

When moving from Hyper-V Technical Preview to Hyper-V Server Technical Preview 2, you will need to uninstall the previous version for a clean installation of Technical Preview 2.

Upon installation you will be prompted to activate. A product key is not required.

Refer to:

Technical Preview 2 For Windows Server and Hyper-V Technical Available For Download

In addition, please also check this article to get the new features in Hyper-V Server Technical Preview 2:

http://charbelnemnom.com/2015/05/whats-new-in-windows-server-hyper-v-technical-preview-2-hyperv-ws2016/

If there is anything else regarding this issue, please feel free to post back.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by AnnaWY Wednesday, May 27, 2015 9:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, June 1, 2015 9:40 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 6:02 AM

All replies

• I had an issue with a DL380P Gen8 some time ago.

Make sure that you have "No-Execute Memory Protection" and "Intel Virtualizaton Technology" enabled in the BIOS.

Thursday, May 14, 2015 7:16 PM
  • I ran 2012 R2 and Technical Preview 1 fine with this configuration.
    Before I fresh installed TP2 there was a TP1 Installation all over the machines up and running.
    Saturday, May 16, 2015 10:39 PM
  • Hi Enrico,

According to your description, you installed Hyper-V Server Technical Preview 2, and got issue to activate the Hyper-V role.

When moving from Hyper-V Technical Preview to Hyper-V Server Technical Preview 2, you will need to uninstall the previous version for a clean installation of Technical Preview 2.

Upon installation you will be prompted to activate. A product key is not required.

Refer to:

Technical Preview 2 For Windows Server and Hyper-V Technical Available For Download

In addition, please also check this article to get the new features in Hyper-V Server Technical Preview 2:

http://charbelnemnom.com/2015/05/whats-new-in-windows-server-hyper-v-technical-preview-2-hyperv-ws2016/

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• Proposed as answer by AnnaWY Wednesday, May 27, 2015 9:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by Amy Wang_ Monday, June 1, 2015 9:40 AM
    Monday, May 18, 2015 6:02 AM
  • Unfortunately I don't have the big HPs anymore to playing around. To clarify: TP 2 is a fresh installation not an upgrade. I mentioned the previous installations because 2012 r2 and TP1 were running fine and smooth. But after installing TP2 i couldn't use hyper-v
    Monday, June 1, 2015 5:07 PM
  • Hi Enrico,

To install Hyper-v Role on Server TP 2, please go though this article:

Installing Hyper-V role on Windows 2016 Server TP2 MinShell version

If you failed to install this role, please check the log file to help us to narrow down the issue "c:\windows\logs\cbs\cbs.log", and find the failure or error message.

Best Regards,

Anna Wang

Tuesday, June 2, 2015 2:06 AM
  • It doesn't work either. the CBS.log isn't there as well. I don't get it. I have altogether checked it out on 4 different HP Server Systems but Hyper-V isn't working. It's still only Spinning and Spinning.

I installed on all of them a Server 2012 R2 freshl and These machines were working as smooth as expected. :(

• Proposed as answer by mikkelknudsen Monday, October 23, 2017 6:31 AM
    Saturday, June 6, 2015 5:16 PM
  • Turn out Windows 10 Build 10130 won't run wih hyper-V either.

Same Problem here. After activating Hyper-V role the spinner Loops endless.

Sunday, June 7, 2015 2:49 PM