none
Can windows 7 work with sata HD? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all!
        When I install windows 7,but I found win7 regarded my sata HD as IDE HD.

My notebook is Compaq CQ40-323AX,the chipset is AMD RS780G + ATI SB700.So I install the chipset driver and raid driver(Those are came from AMD,the verson is 9.4 for vista32/64) after update my win7(It seemed important to update KB970789!!).

But strange! It do not reflect.

What can I do for it.Does win7 not integrate SB700 drivers and RAID drivers.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:03 PM

Answers

•     When I install windows 7,but I found win7 regarded my sata HD as IDE HD.
    Clearly the BIOS setting in your laptop for the HDD was the compatibility "IDE" mode,
    instead of "AHCI". It could happen if the original OS installed on your laptop was
    some old XP version (prior to SP3). Because there were no SATA drivers included
    in older versions of XP installation CD.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:25 PM

All replies

• In  addition to the required software drivers (which might be already part of the Windows 7 shipset...they are for Intel, but I don't use AMD chipsets and I'm not sure about them) there may also be a BIOS setting that needs to be changed. 

You could start by looking under "advanced chipset functions" or some similar page in the BIOS setup. 
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:35 PM
  • Unless HP/Compaq has changed it's BIOS settings, I doubt if you'll be able to change that setting. Hopefully when Win 7 is shipped, it'll have the drivers that you need.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 2:43 PM

•     When I install windows 7,but I found win7 regarded my sata HD as IDE HD.
    Clearly the BIOS setting in your laptop for the HDD was the compatibility "IDE" mode,
    instead of "AHCI". It could happen if the original OS installed on your laptop was
    some old XP version (prior to SP3). Because there were no SATA drivers included
    in older versions of XP installation CD.
    Monday, May 18, 2009 4:25 PM