none
Upgrade to PS2013 - Content Upgrade Failing RRS feed

• Question

• Well folks, got over the Content database restore issue with help from the forum, but now runnning into the next hurdle which is Content Database failing when trying to upgrade. I am following the insdtructions posted at http://epmsource.com/2013/05/02/migrating-ps-2010-to-ps-2013-walkthrough/ which seemed to be pretty comprehensive but have run into a snag. Here are steps taken up to the snag:

• Ran Test-SPContentDatabase on the restored content database (named ProjectServer_Content) it returns some errors, but no blocking (UpgradeBlockin: False) errors
    • Ran Mount-SPContentDatabase which showed completed with errors.
    • Set-SPSite with no problems.
    • PWA was set to classic mode when installing, so shouldn't have to migrate users.
    • Ran a Test-SPSite which returned same errors as previous, but no indication that anything would block the upgrade
    • Ran Upgrade-SPSite, but site upgrade failed. Errors found in the log were

Missing Power Totals 2010 feature 2 errors, 2 warnings

Missing Demand Management Dynamic Workflow feature 2 errors, warnings

Url [/] not found in site map (orphaned site) 1error,1 warning

Url [/] already in use by a different site in the same web app (WSS_Content) 1error,1 warning

Url [/my] not found in site map (orphaned site) 1error,1 warning

Url [/my] already in use by a different site in the same web app (WSS_Content) 1error,1 warning

Url [/PWA] not found in site map (orphaned site) 1error,1 warning

Url [/PWA] already in use by a different site in the same web app (WSS_Content) 1error,1 warning

Power Totals and Dynamic Workflow are not installed in this test environment. Don't see Power Totals on the MPSE site anymore. Any workaround for those? Also not sure on the already "already in use" errors as I thought this was supposed to upgrade the current site to use data from ProjectServer_content. I'm doing something wrong here, but just not sure what. Anyone else run into this and can point me in the right direction to fix? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Rick Frisby

Thursday, July 2, 2015 8:44 PM

Answers

• Rick,

Gary is right - follow the Technet guidance, there is no need to get inventive.

You are trying to upgrade from 2010 to 2013 so straight away forget about using the UI in central admin for this task.

From your original post it looks like you are trying to add two content db's (ProjectServer_Content and WSS_Content) that contain sites with the same path (/PWA) into the same Web App.  Thats just not going to work.

If you currently have a blank and empty PWA instance at /PWA and housed in WSS_Content DB, you will need to get rid of this PWA instance and site collection before migrating the 2010 site collection into that position in the same web app. (You can use the UI to delete the PWA instance and then delete site collection)  In your case, to be free of complications, I would also ensure all content databases are unmounted from the Web App.

Once you have:

- Zero PWA instances

- An empty 2013 web app (no content dbs)

- 4 Project Databases from 2010

- 1 Content DB from 2010

... you can just follow the TechNet guidance to victory:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662104.aspx 

Cheers,

James.

James Boman BSc. MCP:EAD -

• Edited by James Boman Monday, July 6, 2015 10:21 PM Added link
    • Marked as answer by Rick VF Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:46 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 10:20 PM

All replies

• Rick,

No - the upgrade process from 2010 to 2013 is aimed at upgrading the databases you provide.  You combine your 4 2010 project db's into a new 2013 one and use the existing SharePoint content db.  It won't shift data from the old content db to a new one and you can't have two /PWA sites mounted in the same WebApp.  You need to rethink your approach, perhaps by removing the /PWA you have already in the WSS_Content database before you can continue.

Cheers,

James.

Sunday, July 5, 2015 11:42 PM
  • Hi James. Thanks for the response. I probably didn't make myself completely clear as I am going into uncharted terriroty myself here, but I was not expecting to shift content from an old content db to a new one. What I was expecting was to upgrade the content in the database I restored, then attache the upgraded db to servername\pwa. I thought that was that the epmsource atricle was guiding me through.

Previous to this, I installed a two server (App & DB) SharePoint/Project Server 2013 DEV environment using MS Project Experts Implementing and Administering Project Server 2013 book, module 4. This takes you all the way through from Installing SQL server through creating a Project Web App. At the end of that module it says to check Technet for upgrading and migrating from 2010 to 2013, but provides no further instructions, so everything is setup on the Project Server side as far as I can tell.

I am now trying to upgrade the content database, which from what I am reading needs to be done first. The restore was done from copied backup of our 2010 PROD environment. Although there were some errors which I was expecting, all were "UpgradeBlocking: False." I thought per the TechNet and epmsource articles that the Mount-SPContentDatabase command would attach the restored database to my dev environment and Upgrade-SPSite would upgrade the data in the restored database to 2013. Is there something else here that was supposed to be done that was not in these articles? Do I have to undo something in the installation of PS2013 via the MPSE book to make this work with the restored databases? Is there something I need to do with the current dbs? This is where I am lost and can sure use some help from folks who have gone through this ahead of me. Thanks.   

Rick Frisby

Monday, July 6, 2015 1:53 PM
  • Rick:

After following TechNet to upgrade your DBs, all 5 of them, you need to create a new PWA site using DBattach. If you followed the directions in Chapter 4, you now have a new PWA site with an empty database. You cannot use this to attach to your restored and consolidated DBs. This site allows you test that your install works, however. Don't forget to do every step in chapter 5 as well.

Dynamic workflow is not appropriate for 2013 as you can now use SharePoint Designer for this. You also need to replace your Power Totals web part as 2013 requires a different version. Also, the licenses are nontransferable. You can contact our office for more information on Power Totals 2013.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, July 6, 2015 2:26 PM
  • Hi Gary, thanks for responding to me on this. Please pardon my ignorance as this is the first time I am attempting this. Since I can't use the PWA already created, would locking down the other content databases and creating a new Project Web App site using Central Administration and the restored 2010 database (pp165-176) work for creating a new PWA site specific to that restored content database? Can I then mount the consolidated project service db to that? If not, what would be the better approach as I've not found an article particular to this to reference? Your help with any advice and articles is most appreciated. 

Rick Frisby

Monday, July 6, 2015 4:21 PM
  • Rick:

I haven't done one of these since I wrote the book and decided not to include it. Follow the TechNet guidance.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, July 6, 2015 5:52 PM
  • Rick,

Gary is right - follow the Technet guidance, there is no need to get inventive.

You are trying to upgrade from 2010 to 2013 so straight away forget about using the UI in central admin for this task.

From your original post it looks like you are trying to add two content db's (ProjectServer_Content and WSS_Content) that contain sites with the same path (/PWA) into the same Web App.  Thats just not going to work.

If you currently have a blank and empty PWA instance at /PWA and housed in WSS_Content DB, you will need to get rid of this PWA instance and site collection before migrating the 2010 site collection into that position in the same web app. (You can use the UI to delete the PWA instance and then delete site collection)  In your case, to be free of complications, I would also ensure all content databases are unmounted from the Web App.

Once you have:

- Zero PWA instances

- An empty 2013 web app (no content dbs)

- 4 Project Databases from 2010

- 1 Content DB from 2010

... you can just follow the TechNet guidance to victory:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee662104.aspx 

Cheers,

James.

• Edited by James Boman Monday, July 6, 2015 10:21 PM Added link
    • Marked as answer by Rick VF Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:46 PM
    Monday, July 6, 2015 10:20 PM
  • Hi James. Thanks for getting back to me on this. Looks like deleting the PWA instance and site collection did the trick. I also unmounted the other content db from the web app. I used powershell commands for the rest and with a few glitches along the way, was able to get the content database upgraded and convert the project databases into a project service database. I think I followed Gary's book up to the end of module 4 and was a cuople of steps ahead of where I should have been to do the database upgrades. This backed me up a few steps. We'll see how the rest goes on the migration, then back to Gary's book to button things up. Thanks for the help on this. Much appreciated! :) 

Rick Frisby

Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:46 PM