Removing dead 2003 exchange server so I can migrate from 2010 to 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a 2010 Exchange server that I am prepping to migrate to new 2016 exchange, when running the install for 2016 I got the following message.

"

Error:

One or more servers in the existing organization are running Exchange 2000 Server or Exchange Server 2003. Installation can't proceed until all Exchange 2000 or Exchange 2003 servers are removed.

For more information, visit: http://technet.microsoft.com/library(EXCHG.150)/ms.exch.setupreadiness.Exchange2000or2003PresentInOrg.asp

I did read the articles about deleting the object in ADSIEdit but I guess I just need to confirm is there any other way to verify that this server was properly decommissioned before I delete the object, I was told it was uninstalled and physically removed from the racks, mind you I am inheriting this environment with very little knowledge of how things were promoted and demoted here.

Thank you

Monday, July 10, 2017 1:15 PM

All replies

• The best way to do this is to install the Exchange System Manager from the Exchange 2003 CD onto a compatible computer and use that to perform the removal.  You can also make sure that all other old components, like Active Directory Connectors, are also removed.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 12:17 AM
  • Hi,

Yes, we need prepare below points to remove the last Exchange 2003 server:
    1. Move all mailboxes, contents, public folders, OAB to Exchange 2010.
    2. Ensure the mail flow, all Exchange services working fine in Exchange 2010.
    3. Remove recipient policy in Exchange System Manager.

Then we can start to delete the domain Recipient Update Service, and uninstall it from Controller Panel.

More details about it, for your reference:
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg576862(v=exchg.141).aspx#Remove the last Exchange 2003 server

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, July 11, 2017 6:38 AM
  • Warning:  Vendor shill post above.  Lepide products must really suck if they have to have their employees post fake endorsements.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

Thursday, July 13, 2017 9:53 PM
  • Hi,

Does the Exchange 2003 server decommission successful?
    If you get the useful information in above reply, please be free to mark it as answer.

Regards,

Allen Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 24, 2017 3:00 PM