none
Deployment hangs after boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Forum, I've run into a weird issue. Only one of my images will not deploy. It doesn't boot to the PXE environment, it hangs at the windows screen(see screenshot). I figured, maybe it's a driver thing, so I went to the manufacturer's site and grabbed the latest drivers as well as the Winpe drivers, still no go. Next, I deleted the deployment's boot folder contents and completely regenerated the boot files, still no go. I've also, rebuilt the wim file from scratch, still at a dead end. I'm totally baffled because only one of our models has this problem.

version: MDT 2012 6.1.2373.0

Hosted on Windows Server 2008 R2 VM

WDS: NO 

Since it's not booting to the PXE environment, it's not generating any logs files. Please Help

IT Support " Scripting Noob "

Friday, April 11, 2014 7:42 PM

Answers

• Have you tried a deployment on a different machine but the same model? The only time I've seen this is when the machine/hardware itself had an issue or when drivers needed to be updated. You said you've already performed the latter.

As a test, you could always create a custom selection profile with just the boot and NIC drivers and then deploy and see if the machine will at least boot into Windows. Then you can continue troubleshooting from there.

-Nick O.

Monday, April 14, 2014 2:37 PM

All replies

• Have you tried a deployment on a different machine but the same model? The only time I've seen this is when the machine/hardware itself had an issue or when drivers needed to be updated. You said you've already performed the latter.

As a test, you could always create a custom selection profile with just the boot and NIC drivers and then deploy and see if the machine will at least boot into Windows. Then you can continue troubleshooting from there.

-Nick O.

Monday, April 14, 2014 2:37 PM
  • Hey Nick, I've tried several different machines with the same model type.  I'm going to create the custom profile and go from there.  Will keep you posted.

Monday, April 14, 2014 4:12 PM
  • additionally, I would remove *all* drivers and start from scratch. adding drivers back in until it won't boot anymore, and then you have the culprit.

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Tuesday, April 15, 2014 6:31 AM
  • Sorry for the wait guys, I'm totally stuck now. Ok, here we go.

1.) I moved the OS to a test deployment share, it booted to PE but failed due to no network driver. I added the drivers and tried again, it went back to hanging at boot. So, I removed ALL the drivers, verified the Out-Of-Box drivers folder was empty, and completely regenerated the boot files, it still hangs at boot. 

2.) I thought the deployment share was caching the MAC or something so checked the deployment folder in the %temp% directory, it was empty.

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:21 PM
  • Hi there

I'd suggest to create a new deployment share (you can create a new deployment share using the Deployment Workbench). Without changing anything after the creation, update your deployment share to get your boot image. Try to boot your client with your new boot image.

Does it work?

Kind regards
    Makorus

Friday, April 25, 2014 8:42 PM
  • HOLY GUMMIBEARS AND PEANUT BUTTER BATMAN!!! I think I may have found the issue. After helping another user resolve what I thought was a BIOS issue, I checked the SATA OPERATION of my machine and it was set to RAID. I switched it to SATA, it works. I'm going to keep testing and keep you guys posted. 

Friday, April 25, 2014 9:09 PM
  • HOLY GUMMIBEARS AND PEANUT BUTTER BATMAN!!! I think I may have found the issue. After helping another user to what I thought was a BIOS issue, I checked the SATA OPERATION of my machine and it was set to RAID. I switched it to SATA, it works. I'm going to keep testing and keep you guys posted. 

Ah, that old chestnut. I've seen RAID for SATA operation cause issues with older Dell models, and I've also seen it causes issues with McAfee encryption.

-Nick O.

Friday, April 25, 2014 9:31 PM