ProClarity Desktop Professional Doesn't open RRS feed

• Question

• We currently have three users that can't open ProClarity Desktop Professional anymore.  When they start PDP they see the splash screen of ProClarity showing the version number for 3 seconds but then the screen disapear and it never loads.  On one user's PC it took three re-install to get it to work again only to failed again one day later.  One user was using last week.  I tried to delete all files under C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Application Data\ProClarity\Client in case there was corruption but no luck.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We have Windows XP SP2 and PDP(6.3.129.200)

Thanks

Eric

Monday, April 14, 2008 8:33 PM

All replies

•  

Hello Eric,

You could attempt manually removing all lingering ProClarity entries from one of the machines before reinstalling to see if that makes a difference.

1. Uninstall all ProClarity software from the add/remove programs section of the control panel.
    2. Delete C:\Program Files\Common Files\ProClarity
    3. Delete C:\Program Files\ProClarity
    4. Delete C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Application Data\ProClarity (you can back up options.xml and favorites.bin which contain user preferences and client side calculated measures and “My Views”).
    5. Please delete the following keys from your registry (please backup the registry before making any modifications):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Window\Current Version\SharedDlls (delete any entries for ProClarity)
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\ProClarity
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SOFTWARE\ProClarity Corporation
    6. Use the Windows Installer CleanUP Utility to remove any remaining ProClarity software. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
    7. Reboot and reinstall as a user with local administrator rights.

If you encounter the same behavior, can you try applying the latest 6.3 hotfix to those clients to see if the problem still happens?  Also, do you have any ProcMon or FileMon traces you could run to see what is interfering during the time you attempt to launch the Professional Client?

HTH,

Amanda

Monday, April 14, 2008 10:29 PM
  • Hi Amanda,

I will try to manually un-install as instructed. I will try the lastest hotfix and FileMon if the problem still exist.

Thanks for your help.

Eric

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 3:44 AM
  • FYI

I removed ProClarity Desktop Pro manually using the steps and it's now working again but last time we did a re-install it failed one day later so hopefully it won't happen again. 

After talking to the users I found out that PDP stop working on Friday for all 5 workstations that had it installed.  Does anybody have any idea what could cause ProClarity Desktop Pro to stop working on all 5 workstations at the same time.  I will verify that we didn't push any kind of patches to our workstations on Friday.  I just find this very strange.

I will update if I find the cause or the problem returns.

Eric

Tuesday, April 15, 2008 8:55 PM
  • Hello Eric,

Thanks for the update.  In my experience the only thing that causes a working version of ProClarity to stop working is either a patch or user intervention.  I'd be curious to know what you find out.  Those scenarios are always interesting.  Good luck!

Amanda

Wednesday, April 16, 2008 5:16 PM
  • Hi,

I'm not sure what is going on but it happened on another PC.  Yesterday, I installed ProClarity Desktop client on a PC in one of our conference rooms and I tested the software with the user before the meeting.  Once we finished testing we locked the workstation.  When the meeting started two hours later she unlocked the workstation to do the demo only to fine that ProClarity was no longer working.  I can't figure out what is happening...it's a mystery.  At least the 5 workstations on which I re-installed the software on at the beginning of the week are still working.  I will let you know if I ever solve the mystery. 

Is it possible when the client connects to the PAS server it download something that would cause the client to stop working the next time it restarts? 

Eric

Friday, April 18, 2008 9:24 PM
  • Wow, that is bizarre. 

In regards to your question; no not that I can think of.  When ProClarity Professional sends a request to the server it is simply retrieving the XML data for that particular briefing book.  It's a fairly quick process and there aren't any lingering downloads or processes taking place if the system sits idle afterwards.  On the other hand, if you're asking if ProClarity Pro is downloading something on first attempt and then showing corruption from said downloaded file upon subsequent attempts at launching the software, who's to say?  I've seen stranger things happen.  However, the only way I could see this happening is if you have a Homepage set within ProClarity Professional and it became corrupt.

If you happen to obtain reproducible steps feel free to pass them along and I'll see if I can lend any advice.

One other thing you might check; does it only happen to domain users?  Can you log in as a machine's local administrator account, lock the machine, leave it idle for a while, and then successfully use ProClarity after logging back in? 

One more question; when you unlocked the pc yesterday only to find ProClarity was not working, what were its exact symptoms?  Was the Professional client closed and then would not relaunch again?  Or was the Professional client open, connected to a cube, but hung up and unresponsive?  If the latter is true, you might test a basic connection to the OLAP server from that client machine. Easiest way to do this is either from Control Panel / Admin tools / ODBC Connection or else create a test.udl file on that pc.  (Right click the Desktop, New file, name it test.udl - from there you can double click the test.udl file and enter Data Link Properties to test an OLAP connection.)

Let me know your thoughts.  I'll keep my eyes open for your reply.

Amanda

Friday, April 18, 2008 9:59 PM
  • Hi,

The problem is back.  Exactly 30 days after I re-installed ProClarity on all 4 workstations it stopped working.  I'm starting to wonder if my install files are from a eval copy.  Does anybody know how many days is the eval version of ProClarity Desktop Professional good for or how I can tell if I have a eval copy installed? 

Eric

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 1:20 PM
  • Hello again Eric,

Sorry to hear this problem is occurring again.  Sounds very frustrating.  Eval copies expire after 60 days, however if you have suspicions that an Eval copy may have been installed at one point and its reminants are causing a problem, you can follow the steps outlined earlier (manually deleting all files and registry entries relating to ProClarity) to resolve it.  Did you ever find out if any patches are being applied?  Any Windows updates?  What if you run a Filemon the next time you attempt launching ProClarity; do you notice any DENIALS taking place?  Does this happen with only the NT user groups / accounts and not the domain admin users?  What do you notice in the Task Manager at that time?  Any CPU spikes, mem usage spikes?  Can you also define "stopped working"?  Are you connected to a cube via PDP at the time this happens, are you connected to a PAS briefing book, or is the problem appearing when you try to launch PDP?

Any further information would be highly beneficial in figuring out the culprit.  If you find any relevant information feel free to send it along and I'd be happy to assist if possible.

Thanks so much and good luck.

Amanda

Wednesday, May 21, 2008 2:22 PM