none
DPM 2010 RRS feed

• Question

• I want to protect a server.  If I run a full express backup once per week on a saturday then a consitancy check once per day at 12pm.  Is this the same as a full NT backup once per/week and the consistancy being an incremental.

what I'm asking is: will i be able to recover data that has changed from the time of the full backup (protection point) to the last successful consistancy check.  ie is the consistancy check an incrimental and does it apend the protection point or can I only recover data from the last express full backup on the Saturday?

• Moved by T Franke Friday, December 17, 2010 2:02 PM (From:DPM Hyper-V and CSV Clusters)
    Thursday, December 16, 2010 11:28 AM

Answers

• Paul -

When you set up system state (or BMR if 2008/R2), then you only have the option to do an Express Full on a given schedule.  Those points in time will be your recovery points.  The setting to run or schedule consistency checks is there to bring your data on the DPM server consistent with the data on the protected server.  The primary reason for these is for data points that may have problems and DPM detects that the data is inconsistent.

With applications (Exchange and SQL), you have the option in your short term goals to do syncronizations.  These are closer to the idea of incrementals.  They will capture and truncate the logs of these applications at the set interval and allow you to recovery to these points by recovering the last good recovery point (from express full) and then restoring and playing back the logs to get to the selected point in time.

So, if you are only protecting System State or BMR, then you will want to set it up to capture a backup as often as you feel you need.  If there are many changes being made, then you would want to run it daily.  If the server/environment is pretty stable, then you could possibly look at moving to 2-3 times per week.  Keep in mind that if you set it up for a less frequent time and make some changes to the server that you feel need to be captured immediately, you can right click the server in DPM and create a recovery point right then.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, March 4, 2011 2:49 PM

All replies

• The answer really will vary by what you are protecting.  We will deal with different workloads differently.  For instance, we can play logs back for Exchange and SQL to different points without creating a full recovery point.  For the most point, you can right click something and create a recovery point without syncronizing which should make it create a recovery point using the syncronizations to that point, but you wouldn't be able to pick a random point between then and the the last recovery point and apply it as incrementals to reach it (except for Exchange and SQL as stated).

What kind of data are you looking to protect?  That will affect the specifics of the answer and what specific forum group would best help answer it for you.

Thanks, Chris Bu - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, December 17, 2010 6:12 PM
  • Thanks Chris

I'm talking about BMR or at least the system state of an exchange server 2007

Paul

Friday, March 4, 2011 11:28 AM
  • Paul -

When you set up system state (or BMR if 2008/R2), then you only have the option to do an Express Full on a given schedule.  Those points in time will be your recovery points.  The setting to run or schedule consistency checks is there to bring your data on the DPM server consistent with the data on the protected server.  The primary reason for these is for data points that may have problems and DPM detects that the data is inconsistent.

With applications (Exchange and SQL), you have the option in your short term goals to do syncronizations.  These are closer to the idea of incrementals.  They will capture and truncate the logs of these applications at the set interval and allow you to recovery to these points by recovering the last good recovery point (from express full) and then restoring and playing back the logs to get to the selected point in time.

So, if you are only protecting System State or BMR, then you will want to set it up to capture a backup as often as you feel you need.  If there are many changes being made, then you would want to run it daily.  If the server/environment is pretty stable, then you could possibly look at moving to 2-3 times per week.  Keep in mind that if you set it up for a less frequent time and make some changes to the server that you feel need to be captured immediately, you can right click the server in DPM and create a recovery point right then.

I hope this helps.

Thanks, Chris Butcher - MSFT This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Friday, March 4, 2011 2:49 PM