ocs external calling RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,
    I was wondering how people dealt with external access prefix dialaing in ocs i.e. I am using Cisco call manager to route calls to the outside world. Cisco requires a 9 at the beginning of the number to route calls externally. Now that I have ocs implemented I want people to be able to do one click dialing on their moc client. Now if a user clicks on an external number in their contacts the call will get routed to CCM but will obviously fail as there is no 9 in prefix.
    So is the only way to get around this is to add an norm rule to add the 9 automatically? I have a rule that says if the number is at least 7 digits long then add a 9
    It is a pain that there is no tick box on the mediation server to do this automatically for external calling, or is there? I see there is an option for devices but my concern is dialing from the moc client itself

All comments greatlly appreciated
    Celtic
    Friday, February 12, 2010 10:04 AM

Answers

• Do you have a media gateway between the mediation server and PBX?

In my experience, it's far easier to keep OCS normalization rules defined to normalize all numbers to E.164 format.  Then configure the gateway to modify the E.164 number to a format required by the PBX.

For example, if you're dialing an external number and you enter 7 digits into communicator (5678900), configure a normalization rule to normalize that number to a E.164 format +12345678900.  Then configure the gateway to add a 9 (as well as potentially removing the +1 and area code).

Where it gets tricky is your internal dialing rules.  Let's say all of your internal numbers are 555-444-xxxx

Now when a user enters only 4 digits into communicator, you can again have OCS normalize the number to E.164 and configure the gateway to remove +1555444 and pass only the 4 digits to the PBX.

Sean Murphy
    Ensynch, Inc.
    • Marked as answer by TechnoMusic Friday, April 16, 2010 9:08 AM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 8:43 PM

All replies

• Do you have a media gateway between the mediation server and PBX?

In my experience, it's far easier to keep OCS normalization rules defined to normalize all numbers to E.164 format.  Then configure the gateway to modify the E.164 number to a format required by the PBX.

For example, if you're dialing an external number and you enter 7 digits into communicator (5678900), configure a normalization rule to normalize that number to a E.164 format +12345678900.  Then configure the gateway to add a 9 (as well as potentially removing the +1 and area code).

Where it gets tricky is your internal dialing rules.  Let's say all of your internal numbers are 555-444-xxxx

Now when a user enters only 4 digits into communicator, you can again have OCS normalize the number to E.164 and configure the gateway to remove +1555444 and pass only the 4 digits to the PBX.

Sean Murphy
    Ensynch, Inc.
    • Marked as answer by TechnoMusic Friday, April 16, 2010 9:08 AM
    Friday, February 12, 2010 8:43 PM
  • Celtic.
    There is no checkbox to tell OCS that 7 digit numbers or greated are outbound calls.  A normalization rule is the only way to do this.
    Mark
    Mark King | C/D/H | MCTS:OCS | MCSE: Messaging | MCITP:Enterprise Administrator | CCNA
    Friday, February 12, 2010 8:55 PM
  • Adding a 9 in the normalisation rules is bad practice. As Sean says if you are using a gateway add the 9 there. If you are direct SIP then add the 9 using CUCM translation patterns. There is an example of the direct SIP and some translations here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee862409.aspx
    Chris Clark - | MCTS:OCS | MCSE | MCSA | CCNA
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

I ended up adding the 9 on the cisco end. Hopefully Microsoft will have  a nicer way of doing it with Wav14

Celtic
    Friday, April 16, 2010 9:07 AM