Word 2013 64-bit Consumes All Memory When Processing a VBA Script RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I am having an issue where I cannot open a *.doc Word 97-2003 file based on a template that has several VBA macros in it.

With the 32-bit of Word 2013 Preview I had no such issues, but now that I experience an issue where Word's winword.exe process consumes all of my 8 gigabytes of RAM on opening of some documents. All the documents are based on the same Word template with VBA macros. If that happened to all of the document based on that template, I probably could've replaced the faulty macro. However, this happens only to some of the documents. I did not experience this on a 32-bit version of Word.

I suspect the macro we are using here contains a serious bug that causes an overflow in Word's VBA processor. Where that did not appear on a 32-bit version (because of shorter vectors perhaps) the issue popped out on a 64-bit version of Word.

Where I can move back to using 32-bit Word, I believe it would've been better to eliminate the issue, because probably the issue lies with the 64-bit VBA interpreter.

I am not the author of this Word template or the VBA scripts in it. Could somebody please help me understand how I could determine the culprit VBA macro that causes this memory consumption?

Thank you.

Well this is the world we live in And these are the hands we're given...

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 5:11 PM

All replies

• One common method is to break down the script, run them piece by piece, see which one my cause the problem.

Mostly, this kind of behavior could be caused by some loop statement.

Max Meng
    TechNet Community Support

Thursday, April 25, 2013 9:55 AM