Vista Explorer crashes when connecting NTFS USB drive RRS feed

• Question

• On Vista when I connect an NTFS formatted USB drive Explorer crashes and gets stuck in Not Responding. The drives are fine according to other computers one XP and XP Pro. I am not able to shutdown properly after this happens. Any ideas?
    Sunday, August 15, 2010 5:24 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Could you tell us the model of your computer and motherboard?

Most probably, the hidden entries in the Device Manager in Windows could be the problem causing the system to hang while connecting the USB drive / device.

Right click on My computer->Propertise->Advanced system settings on the left panel->Under Advanced tab->Environment Variables->click New... under System variables section, create the entry “Devmgr_show_details” and give its value as ” 1 ” and save the changes.

Then you can try to reinstall USB controllers using the following steps.

===========================

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Thursday, August 19, 2010 9:25 AM
  • My computer is a Desktop Dell Inspiron 530 Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600 (8MB L2 cache,2.4GHz,1066FSB)

My keyboard/mouse are connected via a USB and I do not see another port to connect them so would this advice be a problem?

Thanks,

Tom
    Friday, August 20, 2010 1:59 PM