Unable to logon in DC 2008 R2 after the MSConfig selective startup RRS feed

• Question

• Hello. On a single 2008 R2 DC, I ran the Msconfig system configuration utility and have chosen a Selective Startup option. I turned off most of services, including MS', except Netlogon, Server and Workstation, RPC. However, it looks other required services got disabled. I'm unable to logon anymore with a message ""An attempt was made to logon, but the netlogon service was not started".

I removed the system drive and put it on an XP machine as a Slave. Loaded DC's HKLM and HKCU as hives and deleted all entries from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Shared Tools \ MSConfig \ services, HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Shared Tools \ MSConfig \ State and others. However, I'm still getting the same message.

I have checked:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows \ CurrentVersion \ Run

HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Windows NT \ CurrentVersion \ Windows, but nothing found related to the Msconfig.

How MSConfig works differently on Server 2008 from previous versions? What should I do to manually clean the registiry?

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, September 22, 2011 4:54 PM

Answers

• Thanks to everyone. I figured it out. The RPCS was not reset to Automatic start and that was the reason why the Netlogon was not starting. I manually changed start options for all dependant services and overlookd the RPCS.

Thanks, again. 

Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:19 PM

All replies

• 1. It seems you have cut the branch you had been sitting on.

2. W2K8 R2 and W XP are quite different beasts. W 7 is closer relative to W2K8 R2.

I would suggest to try the following comparative procedure:

A. Install on any computer vanilla plain W2K8 R2 and export registry

B. Make the same changes with msconfig and shutdown.

C. Compare registries (A vs B) and find the difference

D. Apply this diference to W2K8 R2

If you manage the repair of vanilla plain W2K8 R2, then there is a path to recovery of original server. 

Good luck!

Milos

Thursday, September 22, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Hi,

In addition, you may also try to start half of the disabled services and startup items or start them one by one to narrow down the possible cause.

After finding it, you will need to keep it running.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    Friday, September 23, 2011 3:38 PM
  • Thanks to everyone. I figured it out. The RPCS was not reset to Automatic start and that was the reason why the Netlogon was not starting. I manually changed start options for all dependant services and overlookd the RPCS.

Thanks, again. 

Sunday, September 25, 2011 11:19 PM