Windows media center freezes while playing video RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello all:

I'm having a ____ of a time troubleshooting this issue and any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have recently built an HTPC that I use in my living room for various media options.  Recently I went to "Internet TV" in WMC and began watching a video.  Within minutes, the system froze completely.  The audio sounded like a horribly skipping CD, ctrl-alt-del did nothing and the only way to turn off the machine was with a hard reboot.  So I thought this might have been a random occurence so I tried again and sure enough within a few minutes it froze again.  However, it's neither always at the same point in a video nor specific to a certain video.  In fact, I then tried watching some videos playing off of my own HD I had it freeze on those videos as well (though seemingly not as frequent as it freezes on Internet TV.)   The only time the computer crashes is when watching a video (in WMC, although I haven't tried another player outside of WMC.)

My system setup is:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit

Asus P7P55D-EVO

Intel Core i7 870

ATI Radeon HD 5750

2x  2 GB DDR3 1600 Corsair RAM

4x 1.0 TB WD Hard drives

And the system was a clean install.  I have tried some of the obvious things.  Here's a small list:

1.  Updated all my device drivers and BIOS to the latest and greatest.  (problem is still here.)

2.  I'm using my video card to provide audio over the HDMI out and my mobo has a built in sound card/outputs, so I've disabled them in the bios thinking there may have been some conflict with audio drivers.  (problem persists.)

3.  I read in another support article that disabling "Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service" in Services and turning streaming off in the Network and Sharing center has had a positive effect on freezes.  (unfortunately for me the problem persists.)

4.  I have uninstalled/reinstalled various applications (i.e. Flash, Codec Packs, Catalyst Control Center, etc. but the problem persists.)

5.  I have extensively ran memtest86 and windows memory diagnostic and my ram passes all tests with 0 failures.

6.  I have used prime95 to torture test the machine and it handles it fine (much longer than it can handle playing a video over internet TV.)

7.  I have had windows check my hard drives for errors and there are none.

8.  I don't imagine this is a heat issue as I've watched the temp (at least of my mobo/cpu) prior to a crash and they were very low.  Perhaps I should check on the video card, but I can't imagine that it's heat as the system can play crysis at 1920x1080 without freezing.

As the computer is stable other than when playing videos I suspect something to do with the video card, but I am really out of things to try.  Perhaps its a problem with WMC?  If anyone has any thoughts please let me know.  I would be happy to provide any other info about my setup that I may have left off here.  I spent some money putting together this HTPC and I had imagined that Win7 Media Center would be great, but constantly crashing makes this thing unusable.  :(  Thanks in advance!

Tuesday, May 25, 2010 8:21 AM

Answers

• I have also read a bunch of the forums, but I think I may have found my problem, RAM timings.

I guess what is really confusing to me is that memtest and the windows memory diagnostic can run my ram (at the timings set in my bios) without errors, but that Windows 7 will not run stably.  (If someone cares to explain this, please do.)   To troubleshoot, I cranked down my timings to 800Mhz (although my ram is supposed to run at 1600) and tested the system.  Of course by "tested" I mean that I used it pretty frequently for several days and specifically streamed Internet TV content because before my computer would freeze almost instantly.   I experienced no freezing during this test.

Thus, I have concluded that my problem is definitely memory related.  I then went back and verified that all my settings were correct and called asus to confirm that my memory settings were indeed correct.  Asus actually recommends running my ram at 1333 even though the ram is technically supposed to be 1600.  When it was freezing, I believe I was trying to use the X.M.P. profile with the 1600mhz settings.  I didn't think this was a problem at all since memtest reported no errors so I figured hey, faster clock speed works for me! (Apparently this was my crucial mistake.)

Seems to be running stable now.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.   Thanks for the replies.

• Marked as answer by JDogg20 Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:20 PM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:20 PM

All replies

• Do you have any other cards besides the video card in the system? For example a WiFi card? Also, have you installed RAID/AHCI drivers specific to your motherboard, or are you using the generic ones that windows comes with?
    Sunday, May 30, 2010 1:40 AM
  • I have also read a bunch of the forums, but I think I may have found my problem, RAM timings.

I guess what is really confusing to me is that memtest and the windows memory diagnostic can run my ram (at the timings set in my bios) without errors, but that Windows 7 will not run stably.  (If someone cares to explain this, please do.)   To troubleshoot, I cranked down my timings to 800Mhz (although my ram is supposed to run at 1600) and tested the system.  Of course by "tested" I mean that I used it pretty frequently for several days and specifically streamed Internet TV content because before my computer would freeze almost instantly.   I experienced no freezing during this test.

Thus, I have concluded that my problem is definitely memory related.  I then went back and verified that all my settings were correct and called asus to confirm that my memory settings were indeed correct.  Asus actually recommends running my ram at 1333 even though the ram is technically supposed to be 1600.  When it was freezing, I believe I was trying to use the X.M.P. profile with the 1600mhz settings.  I didn't think this was a problem at all since memtest reported no errors so I figured hey, faster clock speed works for me! (Apparently this was my crucial mistake.)

Seems to be running stable now.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed.   Thanks for the replies.

• Marked as answer by JDogg20 Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:20 PM
    Thursday, June 3, 2010 8:20 PM