Restoring all of Outlook mail accounts and folders RRS feed

• Question

• My PC died and I had to get my data recovered off of the drive.  Now I do not know how to recover my profiles, folders and sub folders on my laptop. I had about 6 different email addresses both POP and IMAP accounts and I also had about 50 or more sub-folders that I used to organize all my email into.

How can I get my Outlook 365 back to the way it was on my other computer with everything the same.

Thank you

Sunday, August 11, 2019 6:37 PM

Answers

• Hi Abrinne,

Thank you for your response.

I only used Outlook directly on my PC and didn't use the Outlook cloud version. (I am not sure I am explaining that right. I am not super computer savvy but do have some limited computer knowledge)

I set up all my email accounts in Outlook on my PC's drive and had sooooo many different sub folders that I sorted all my emails into. I did locate the .pst file in my data that was recovered off my dead PC and did an import but all that did was put 15,000 emails (from only one of my email accounts) all into my Inbox so I am assuming the profile with all my sub-folders wasn't stored in the .pst file?

Any further direction you can offer is appreciated. 

Thanks
    • Marked as answer by KittenFoster Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:09 AM
    Monday, August 12, 2019 3:15 PM
  • Hi Perry,

Yes I have access to the original data files and I did import the .pst file but all that did was put 15,000 emails (from only one of my multiple email accounts) all into my Inbox so I am assuming the profile with all my sub-folders wasn't stored in the .pst file? I didn't import the .ost file.

Thanks

Monday, August 12, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Hi KittenFoster,

When importing, do you select “Include subfolders”?

Normally, for different accounts, you will see different .pst files which are named by email address by default. And I checked the data file for my POP account, sub-folders should also be included.

Can you find .pst files for other accounts? Or, have you backed up your mailboxes before?

Besides, we can also open data file in Outlook to see if all folders show correctly. To do this, please click File > Open&Export > Open Outlook Data File.

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:29 AM

All replies

• Had the licenses versioned Outlook 356??
    If yes then could follow the steps to recover your profiles as:

From the admin center, go to the Users > Deleted users page.
    On the Deleted users page, select the names of the users who you want to restore, and then select Restore.

Follow the prompts to set their password, and then select Restore.

If the user is successfully restored, select Send email and close. If you encounter a name conflict or proxy address conflict, see the instructions below for how to restore those accounts.

Referred the steps from docs.microsoft.com

Monday, August 12, 2019 6:26 AM
  • Hi KittenFoster,

Do you have access to the original data files(.pst and .ost)?

For IMAP account, most items sync with server. You can re-configure IMAP account to Outlook client and Outlook will automatically download emails and folders from server.

For POP account, most items are saved in local data files(.pst). If you can access the original computer, you can copy these files to new one and then import it back to your account.

Reference: Import from Outlook .pst file

Regards,

Perry

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Monday, August 12, 2019 6:34 AM
  • Hi Abrinne,

I only used Outlook directly on my PC and didn't use the Outlook cloud version. (I am not sure I am explaining that right. I am not super computer savvy but do have some limited computer knowledge)

I set up all my email accounts in Outlook on my PC's drive and had sooooo many different sub folders that I sorted all my emails into. I did locate the .pst file in my data that was recovered off my dead PC and did an import but all that did was put 15,000 emails (from only one of my email accounts) all into my Inbox so I am assuming the profile with all my sub-folders wasn't stored in the .pst file?

Thanks
    Monday, August 12, 2019 3:15 PM
  • Hi Perry,

Yes I have access to the original data files and I did import the .pst file but all that did was put 15,000 emails (from only one of my multiple email accounts) all into my Inbox so I am assuming the profile with all my sub-folders wasn't stored in the .pst file? I didn't import the .ost file.

Thanks

Monday, August 12, 2019 3:19 PM
  • Hi KittenFoster,

When importing, do you select “Include subfolders”?

Normally, for different accounts, you will see different .pst files which are named by email address by default. And I checked the data file for my POP account, sub-folders should also be included.

Can you find .pst files for other accounts? Or, have you backed up your mailboxes before?

Besides, we can also open data file in Outlook to see if all folders show correctly. To do this, please click File > Open&Export > Open Outlook Data File.

Regards,

Perry

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 1:29 AM
  • Hi Perry,

Thanks again for your reply. My Import does not have an option for including subfolders for some reason. I tried to send you a pic here but social.technet won't let me.

I want to thank you for your time trying to help me but I think I will need to take my computer into someone to restore it for me.

thanks again

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 3:09 AM