SfB DNS as CNAME's and not A records. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    Very quick question.
    I have an awkward customer that wants additional domains added to their SfB environment which is fine.
    My query regards DNS, the customer insists that all of their internal and external DNS entries are set using CNAME records rather than A records (apart from the SRV's of course).
    Has anyone had any problems using CNAME's throughout rather than A records? Setting up my lab to test this would be a pain so after advice from anyone with experience in this.
    Many thanks, Jase.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 8:52 AM

Answers

• You should have a sip. A record for each of your sip domains.I'd say the above, as well as the fact it's also documented as a required DNS record makes it mandatory, regardless of whether you are able to identify any immediate problems without it.

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

• Marked as answer by Jason Wake Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:27 PM

All replies

• You should have a sip. A record for each of your sip domains.I'd say the above, as well as the fact it's also documented as a required DNS record makes it mandatory, regardless of whether you are able to identify any immediate problems without it.

Linus || Please mark posts as answers/helpful if it answers your question.

• Marked as answer by Jason Wake Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:54 PM
    Tuesday, September 20, 2016 12:27 PM
  • That does makes sense, I hadn't thought of that, Microsoft could say it's unsupported if it's set up outside of their standard specifications even if it does work that way.
    Thanks for pointing it out. Cheers all.

Tuesday, September 20, 2016 1:54 PM