Repair File System Errors RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I have a server which is a VM. The VM has a D drive which is a vmdk sat on in a datastore which is on a HP MSA storage.

I don't understand how there can be disk errors if the disk in question is a vmdk NOT a direct attached disk.

I see server manager is noticing the disk has issues - and there is an option in server manager to Repair File System Errors which I assume is just a chkdsk?

Will this be ok to run? But what is wrong with the disk? It cant be a physical issue as no other VMs have this issue.

Thanks

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 12:20 PM

Answers

• chkdsk attempts to repair file system corruption which is different than hardware failure. There could have been unexpected power cycles or software errors as the cause. As far as "ok to run?", probably is Ok, but I'd always plan for the worst and have a backup.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• Proposed as answer by Alvwan Thursday, August 11, 2016 8:32 AM
    • Marked as answer by Alvwan Monday, August 15, 2016 9:16 AM
    Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Below thread may be helpful to you if you want to check VMDK for corruption when using VMWare. You could refer to the suggestions mentioned there:

Check VMDK for Corruption

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/507432?start=0&tstart=0

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:17 AM

All replies

• chkdsk attempts to repair file system corruption which is different than hardware failure. There could have been unexpected power cycles or software errors as the cause. As far as "ok to run?", probably is Ok, but I'd always plan for the worst and have a backup.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

Wednesday, August 3, 2016 1:19 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

Below thread may be helpful to you if you want to check VMDK for corruption when using VMWare. You could refer to the suggestions mentioned there:

Check VMDK for Corruption

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/507432?start=0&tstart=0

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, August 4, 2016 2:17 AM
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Alvin Wang

Monday, August 8, 2016 9:50 AM