Audiences RRS feed

• Question

• I'm setting up several audiences for my small server farm, and there is one that just does not compile completely.  The audience is based on the "Department" property of the user profile in AD.  For this particular department, there are 5 individuals.  The first time I compiled it, only 4 users came across - even though all 5 were identical. 

I removed and recreated the user in AD who wasn't coming through in the compile, and still only 4 users came through.  I then removed all 5 users in AD and recreated them, and now none of them come across in the compile.

All together I have 6 Audiences compiled from AD, and all but this one are fine.   Has anyone ever seen this before?  I'm completely stumped.  (and close to bald from tearing out my hair...)

Thanks very much for any light that might be shed on this. 

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 10:43 AM

All replies

• well, go figure....I rebooted the DC and the compile worked.  I'm clueless as to why, so if anyone has any ideas for future problems it would be great to hear them.

thanks! 

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:44 AM
  • Audiences do not compile using an Active Directory pull; they compile against the User Profiles database.  With that being said, always make sure your User Profile database has done the full import of your AD before compiling audiences.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:47 AM
  • thanks so much for your response!

you're so right - I'm sorry, I didn't communicate that very well.  I had done the full import originally from AD to the User Profiles database, and could see the users in question listed in my User Profiles db in the SSP.  (I see now why they didn't show after deleting / recreating them though - I hadn't re-imported them.)

any theories on why users who do appear in the User Profiles db and meet the criteria for the Audience rule might not compile properly? that was what had me stumped initially.  even though I'm all set now, I'm still puzzled by that. 

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 11:52 AM
  • Possibly the user profile information itself wasn't complete for whatever reason.  Maybe the profile import happened before the department update, for example.  Outside of that, your guess is just as good as mine.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:06 PM
  •     I know what you mean, and guesses will do - that's fine!    I was more concerned that there might be a known issue with this, and that it wasn't necessarily just a "me" problem.  thanks very much again for your help!
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 12:17 PM