none
App-V and runaway processes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have recently discovered some App-V apps creating runaway processes that we cannot see in task manager but can see in Director. Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:17 PM

All replies

• I can't recall seeing rouge processes if you run task-manager as an admin with show processes from all users. But I wounder if you can you see them using appv PS command: 

Get-appvVirtualProcess

This is the list the appv filterdriver is using to tell if a process is still open when you try to remove it. This blog explain how to see what it is. 

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:06 PM
  • Hello Arne,

The issue isn't that the app is still in use when removing. The issue is when a user tries to open an app-v app, sometimes it doesn't launch right away and they will try to launch it again. Eventually, there are multiple processes that are running but unable to see them in task manager. I can log into Director and look up that user and see multiple processes.

This has become an issue as of late and we have been unable to determine the cause. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue? If so, what was the root cause and resolution?

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:15 PM
  • Ok, I see. But can you see those "ghost" processes using the appv powershell command Get-appvVirtualProcess ?
    I don't know what could cause this, but if you can't see them other places than director it's hard to create a workaround, if they exist in the VE (bubble) then this command should show them even if they are not showing in taskmanager. 
    If you see them there maybe create a vbs user script in the package giving the user a popup-box saying process already exist. Do you want to kill thoose before starting the program.
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:06 AM
  • sometimes it doesn't launch right away and they will try to launch it again

I think you need to first identify why this is the case.

Roy Essers

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:21 PM
  • This would be nice but I still have not been able to get a script to work inside an app-v package.
    Monday, September 23, 2019 8:22 PM
  • Hi Roy,

Any app-v application does launch instantly. Users expect it to work like a locally installed application on a laptop or desktop. When it doesn't come up within 2 seconds, they are launching another.

Bob

Monday, September 23, 2019 8:23 PM
  • What is your problem, it's pretty straight forward.
    You can use this guide i found
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 7:25 AM
  • You can try launching the program trough a ps, vbs or cmd script that checks if that process is already open before launching the program. 
    Tuesday, September 24, 2019 7:27 AM
  • Not quite sure why everyone just assumes everything is an easy fix with scripts. You need to think high security when people are asking these questions because with high security, lots of tuff like running scripts are blocked. I appreciate the help but the "what is your problem" comment really wasn't warranted. But thanks for the help.
    Thursday, October 17, 2019 8:32 PM
  • Not quite sure why everyone just assumes everything is an easy fix with scripts. You need to think high security when people are asking these questions because with high security, lots of tuff like running scripts are blocked. I appreciate the help but the "what is your problem" comment really wasn't warranted. But thanks for the help.

Not assume the worst here, my question was actually, what's you're problem with running scripts. Not trying to be a wise guy 🙂

Friday, October 18, 2019 8:22 AM
  • Please be aware that scripting is disabled in App-V by default.  Someone must turn it on.  It is a client configuration that may be set via registry, PowerShell command, or (best) Group Policy.

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Monday, December 9, 2019 11:58 PM
  • If undesirable processes are left around when using App-V in a Citrix environment, you have two choices to solve the issue:

1) Citrix allows you to designate processes by process name that should not keep the session locked open.  Detect he name of the rogue process and add it to that list.

2) App-V has a package property call TerminateChildProcess whereby you can name the parent process (probably the one with the shortcut) and indicate that when that process closes to kill off any child process.  This would be done by manually editing the AppXManifest file (which you can do using the AppVManifestEditor tool while packaging the app).

App-V MVP & CTP Fellow. Author of AppV books: PowerShell with App-V 5, The Application Book, & Window Caching (http://www.tmurgent.com/Books)

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 12:03 AM