none
App-V and runaway processes RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

We have recently discovered some App-V apps creating runaway processes that we cannot see in task manager but can see in Director. Has anyone encountered this?

Thanks,

Bob

Tuesday, August 13, 2019 8:17 PM

All replies

• I can't recall seeing rouge processes if you run task-manager as an admin with show processes from all users. But I wounder if you can you see them using appv PS command: 

Get-appvVirtualProcess

This is the list the appv filterdriver is using to tell if a process is still open when you try to remove it. This blog explain how to see what it is. 

Thursday, August 15, 2019 8:06 PM
  • Hello Arne,

The issue isn't that the app is still in use when removing. The issue is when a user tries to open an app-v app, sometimes it doesn't launch right away and they will try to launch it again. Eventually, there are multiple processes that are running but unable to see them in task manager. I can log into Director and look up that user and see multiple processes.

This has become an issue as of late and we have been unable to determine the cause. I was wondering if anyone else has run into this issue? If so, what was the root cause and resolution?

Thanks,

Bob

Wednesday, August 21, 2019 3:15 PM
  • Ok, I see. But can you see those "ghost" processes using the appv powershell command Get-appvVirtualProcess ?
    I don't know what could cause this, but if you can't see them other places than director it's hard to create a workaround, if they exist in the VE (bubble) then this command should show them even if they are not showing in taskmanager. 
    If you see them there maybe create a vbs user script in the package giving the user a popup-box saying process already exist. Do you want to kill thoose before starting the program.
    Tuesday, August 27, 2019 11:06 AM
  • sometimes it doesn't launch right away and they will try to launch it again

I think you need to first identify why this is the case.

Roy Essers

Wednesday, September 4, 2019 2:21 PM