Vista won't boot RRS feed

• Question

• Hello - when trying to boot my laptop I get a "System cannot find file specified" error message and the OK button. Clicking OK brings back the same screen over and over. I was thinking of buying the Windows 7 Upgrade and booting off the DVD to perform the upgrade. Will this work?
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:28 PM

All replies

• Also - I cannot get past that error message booting into Safe Mode, Command Prompt, etc.
    Monday, January 25, 2010 4:29 PM
  • Hello there,

Do you have more specific information? This sounds like a registry issue, a program or corrupted registry.

Please give more details.

Thanks again,

John M.

Thursday, January 28, 2010 3:53 PM
  • Unfortunately, that is as specific as I can get.

I solved the problem by upgrading to Windows 7. I booted with the Upgrade CD and performed a Custom Install as the Upgrade choice prompted me to launch the upgrade from within Windows Vista. As I said in my original post, I wasn't able to get past the error message screen.

Luckily, the Custom Install saved all docs and photos. I was nervous because all the MS documentation said the Custom install would wipe the drive. Thankfully, it didn't. All my stuff was in the Windows.old folder. I had to reinstall apps like Office, anti-virus, etc. but at least my data wasn't lost.
    Thursday, January 28, 2010 8:00 PM
  • Hello Rich499,

I am glad to hear that it worked out for you!

Great news, that it's all in the "windows.old" folder!
    After you entered your product key:
    select Custom (advanced). "The partition you selected might contain files from a previous Windows installation. If it does, these files and folders will be moved to a folder named Windows.old. You will be able to access the information in Windows.old, but you will not be able to use your previous version of Windows,"
    This is the message that Setup will display when you will choose to clean install Vista on top of your current operating system.

Those are the steps you went through?

John M.
    Microsoft Windows Client Team

Monday, February 1, 2010 6:14 PM
  • Exactly. I was concerned because I thought going through the Custom Install would wipe the PC. All my old data was in the folder you mentioned.
    Monday, February 1, 2010 6:18 PM