Recreate AppFabric Cache Cluster RRS feed

• Question

• Is there any way to totaly delete and create new cache cluster?

After Sharepoint farm migration to a new database server and removing two Sharepoint servers from the farm we've got a lot of issues with AppFabric cache cluster. "Remove-CacheCluster" doesn't help returning nothing after execution.

Monday, January 18, 2016 1:10 PM

Answers

• !!! Do not make any changes in configuration database !!!

If you have removed servers from the farm which were hosting Distributed Cache without removing the Distributed Cache Service instance  then there is nothing you can do about them.  You only hope here is if you have any other server where distributed cache was enabled.  Distributed Cache has a configuration file where information about Cache cluster is written.  You must remove the 2 bad servers from this configuration file then import the configuration again.  That is a tricky step but you must first stop the cache cluster then import the configuration and start it.  You may have to do it couple of times.  Make sure you install the latest App Fabric CU (5 or 7).  You can use the http://mdcadmintool.codeplex.com/ tool to get the admin tool to get it all done from UI.  PowerShell cmdlets are also there.

Best of Luck.

Jerry Yasir - Office Server & Services MVP/MCT Hewlett Packard Enterprise If this reply helped you resolve your issue, please propose as answer.

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Neurophobe,

According to your description, you want to remove and recreate an AppFabric Cache Cluster.

Firstly you should import the modules to run Windows Server AppFabric Cmdlets.
    Import-Module ApplicationServer
    Import-Module distributedcacheconfiguration
    Import-Module distributedcacheadministration

It seems you need to do it in order. Stop-CacheHost->Unregister-CacheHost->Remove-CacheHost->Remove-CacheAdmin->Configure the Firewall->Remove the cache cluster

You can try to run the commands locally on the cache host that is being configured.

Best Regards,

CY

TechNet Community Support
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, January 19, 2016 8:04 AM
  • Thanks for the reply.

Problems begin from the first commandlet "Stop-CacheHost". It returns "This host is unknown". A cache cluster still has two nodes, which were removed from Sharepoint farm. These servers no longer exist and every time I try to remove them from the cache cluster I receive errors "This host is unknown". But I can see them in the input of "Get-CacheHost". Also when I add new server to the cache cluster, appfabric service crushes every hour with errors 8335 and 2137 (SharePoint Foundation source).

I was thinking about deleting all data in appfabric tables in the sharepoint config database, but my gut tells me this is a bad idea.

Monday, January 25, 2016 12:38 PM
  • !!! Do not make any changes in configuration database !!!

If you have removed servers from the farm which were hosting Distributed Cache without removing the Distributed Cache Service instance  then there is nothing you can do about them.  You only hope here is if you have any other server where distributed cache was enabled.  Distributed Cache has a configuration file where information about Cache cluster is written.  You must remove the 2 bad servers from this configuration file then import the configuration again.  That is a tricky step but you must first stop the cache cluster then import the configuration and start it.  You may have to do it couple of times.  Make sure you install the latest App Fabric CU (5 or 7).  You can use the http://mdcadmintool.codeplex.com/ tool to get the admin tool to get it all done from UI.  PowerShell cmdlets are also there.

Best of Luck.

Jerry Yasir - Office Server & Services MVP/MCT Hewlett Packard Enterprise If this reply helped you resolve your issue, please propose as answer.

Monday, January 25, 2016 6:07 PM
  • Hi,

Using tools like this is not supported.

Are the removed servers still up and running?

If so, add them back to the farm if possible and you should be able to remove them from the Cluster in a supported way, after that the Cluster should be in a running state.

Other than that, rebuilding the farm should be the fastest, and pretty much only supported way to get it working as expected again.

Filip Bosmans

Tuesday, January 26, 2016 4:13 AM