locked
Migrate from Exchange 2010 to 2016 - internal DNS / activesync problem. RRS feed

  • Question

  • Hello, 

    Im in the middle of a migration from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2016, ive gone through all the steps in a lab environment but unfortunately i couldnt test external services such as activesync and external mailflow.

    My problem is as follows, during lunch today I changed the following settings. DNS, updated the internal DNS to point my mail record and my autodiscover record to point at the new exchange 2016 server. Ive changed incomming mailflow to the new exchange 2016, ive changed the http and https rules in the firewall to point to the new exchange 2016. 

    The issue that occured immediately was that the users smartphones (mostly iphones) started asking for a password for their email account, typing in the password had no effect, the same password question came back instantly over and over again. I switched back to my "old" OWA in the firewall and the problem disappeared, i also needed to change the internal DNS settings back to the old exchange because many of the users are using the company WiFi on their phones. 

    Does anyone have any ideas on what ive missed? Ive used the microsoft remote connectivity analyzer but everything checks out just fine. Ive tried deleting and adding the account on the phone but i can never verify the settings when im using the new exchange 2016 https settings in the firewall. 

    Thanks in advance!

    /Göran

    Thursday, May 19, 2016 1:49 PM

Answers

  • Hi Goran, 

    Welcome to our forum.

    If it could be done on Exchange 2010, it also apply to Exchange 2016, please add it on Exchange 2016 to check if the issue persist.

    If the issue solve after you add it on Exchange 2016, please mark it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

    Best Regard,

    Jim Xu

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

    • Marked as answer by jungman Monday, May 23, 2016 10:52 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 6:36 AM

All replies

  • Please confirm that you ran ExRCA when DNS was pointed to the Exchange 2016 server.

    Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

    Thursday, May 19, 2016 3:44 PM
  • I got a 10 minute window to run some tests during the afternoon today, the only thing i changed at that point was the firewall rules so that http and https was forwarded to the new exchange 2016 server, then i tried to add an exchange account to the iPhone (all mailboxes are still on the 2010 server), it failed, then i ran the RCA tests and they finished without any errors, when i expanded the answers/more info i could see the internal name of my Exchange 2016 server. 

    Ive used this guide from msexchange.org as support during this migration. Its when doing the steps at the end of part 4 that my problems start. 

    http://www.msexchange.org/articles-tutorials/exchange-2016-articles/migration-deployment/migrating-small-organization-exchange-2010-exchange-2016-part4.html

    I also used the exchange server deployment assistant from technet as my guide, this is my first 2010 to 2016 migration, ive managed to pull of a couple of exchange 2010 to 2013 migrations that went well. 

    Thanks!

    Thursday, May 19, 2016 5:37 PM
  • Thank you! Ill look into this and post my results. 

    Friday, May 20, 2016 7:22 AM
  • Turns out it was a simple sollution to my problem, i needed to add the domain prefix for it to work. On the old Exchange i set it up (IIS) so that it automatically adds the prefix. Now i need to figure out if I can do the same on the new Excange Server 2016 (Server 2012R2). 

    Thanks for the help!

    /Göran

    Saturday, May 21, 2016 5:21 PM
  • Hi Goran, 

    Welcome to our forum.

    If it could be done on Exchange 2010, it also apply to Exchange 2016, please add it on Exchange 2016 to check if the issue persist.

    If the issue solve after you add it on Exchange 2016, please mark it as answer so that someone who has similar issue could find this thread as soon as possible.

    Best Regard,

    Jim Xu

    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

    Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

    • Marked as answer by jungman Monday, May 23, 2016 10:52 AM
    Monday, May 23, 2016 6:36 AM
  • Instructions for how to change/remove domain prefix can be found on this site:

    http://www.techieshelp.com/exchange-2013-change-owa-log-on-options/

    /Göran

    Monday, May 23, 2016 10:53 AM