Should you create a new Exchange Server when installing Sharepoint? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Community

There is a domain controller with existing Exchange Server on my network already:

DMVregister.state.xx.us

I added an additional domain/domain controller onto the network as a separate
    domain in the forest:

DMVplates.state.xx.us

Now there are 2 separate domains in the forest

In the added DMVplates.state.xx.us domain I am creating a Sharepoint farm.
    In this Sharepoint farm the same users that are in DMVregister.state.xx.us domain
    will be the same users that will be accessing the Sharepoint farm in DMVplates.state.xx.us
    domain.

The question is when I create the Sharepoint farm in DMVplates.state.xx.us
    domain would it be best to install a new Exchange Server for the users in the Sharepoint
    farm in DMVplates.state.xx.us or would it be best use the existing Exchange Server in the
    DMVregister.state.xx.us domain to connect the users when I create the Sharepoint farm?

Thank you
        Shabeaut

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 1:07 AM

Answers

• Hello Shabeaut,

You do not need to install any new Exchange server. The existing one can still be used for all mail routing purpose in SharePoint scenarios.

Thanks,

Manas

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Microsoft Online Community Support
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:43 AM

All replies

• Hello,

There should not be a need to set up an exchange server on the same domain. As long as there is no authentication required. SharePoint does not authenticate to a mail server it only uses it as a relay.

The best test you can do is to try to send an email via Telnet from the SharePoint box to the Exchange server and see if it works. Below article has the steps

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/153119

Please remember to click 'Mark as Answer' on the post that helps you or click 'Unmark as Answer' if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Tuesday, October 18, 2011 7:03 AM
  • Hello Manas

My post states:

"Now there are 2 separate domains in the forest". 

Your response says:

"There should not be a need to set up an exchange server on the same domain"

Since there are 2 domains the question remains:

Would it be best to install a new Exchange Server (in the new domain that was created) 
    for the users in the Sharepoint farm in DMVplates.state.xx.us or would it be best use the
    DMVregister.state.xx.us existing Exchange Server (in the domain that was already and still there)?

Thank you
        Shabeaut

Tuesday, October 18, 2011 2:30 PM
  • Hello Shabeaut,

You do not need to install any new Exchange server. The existing one can still be used for all mail routing purpose in SharePoint scenarios.

Thanks,

Manas

Regards,
    Manas Biswas
    Wednesday, October 19, 2011 5:43 AM