none
steadystate RRS feed

• Question

• Hi I installed steadystate in about 200 computers, and i don't know why it reboots about 20 times a day and it comes up a massage the admin schedule a reboot, and a counter is starting to count from 20 sec. and down and it asks for a password and it reboots no metter if you putt in a password or not

thank you

Wednesday, December 5, 2007 7:41 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thank you for your feedback!

The command will stop the restart.

Do you have the following options enabled?

1. Lock User Profile (by selecting “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes”)

2. Windows Disk Protection (WDP) (If you have configure it to “Remove all changes at restart”)

If you have WDP enabled, please configure it to “Retain all changes permanently”to test. Please also capture a screenshot of the countdown message if possible:

==========

1. Press the Print Screen key on the upper right corner of the keyboard when the error occurs.

(The Print Screen key is to the right of the F12 key on the keyboard).

2. Run the "shutdown –a" command from Start -> Run to stop countdown.

3. Open Paint from Start -> All Programs -> Accessories-> Paint.

4. Click Paste on the Edit menu in the Paint program.

5. Save it and send it to v-shshao@microsoft.com as an attachment

If a screenshot cannot be captured, please let me know if there is additional message when countdown starts.

Regards,

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:44 AM

All replies

• Hi Sammy625,

As I know, SteadyState only restarts the computer if you have Schedule Software Updates configured. However, the update frequency is one day at least.  

To test whether this issue is caused by SteadyState, you can uninstall it from one computer to test.

Other suggestions:

---------------------

1. Check for virus & spyware. (new blaster virus?)

2. Run command "shutdown –a" to abort the restart.

3. Check if there is any suspected Schedule Task.

Best Regards,

Thursday, December 6, 2007 10:14 AM
  • Hi Shawn Shao

Thanks for helping me, but ther is no virus on the pc and the updates are disabled, and it only

happens whan SteadyState is configured on the system, and i have this problam with about 50 computers, and suggestion #2 from your massage what happens when i do that.

Best Regards,

Thursday, December 6, 2007 2:42 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you for your feedback!

The command will stop the restart.

Do you have the following options enabled?

1. Lock User Profile (by selecting “Lock profile to prevent the user from making permanent changes”)

2. Windows Disk Protection (WDP) (If you have configure it to “Remove all changes at restart”)

If you have WDP enabled, please configure it to “Retain all changes permanently”to test. Please also capture a screenshot of the countdown message if possible:

==========

1. Press the Print Screen key on the upper right corner of the keyboard when the error occurs.

(The Print Screen key is to the right of the F12 key on the keyboard).

2. Run the "shutdown –a" command from Start -> Run to stop countdown.

3. Open Paint from Start -> All Programs -> Accessories-> Paint.

4. Click Paste on the Edit menu in the Paint program.

5. Save it and send it to v-shshao@microsoft.com as an attachment

If a screenshot cannot be captured, please let me know if there is additional message when countdown starts.

Regards,

Friday, December 7, 2007 8:44 AM
  • Hi

Before the computer restarts it opens a small pop up that written performing daily maintenance and than the pc start the counnt down for restart and I didn't set any thing for daily maintenance the opposite i disabled daily updates becouse i don't wont the pc should reboot at all and the steadystate is set up by me with any users only the default user that means the 1 user that is the admin

And i can't peroform the command shutdown i tried a few times and it is not working

Thank

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 1:45 PM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your feedback. Would you please include the exact error/warning message? I am still not sure whether the message is created by SteadyState or other programs.

Regards,

Wednesday, December 12, 2007 2:53 AM
  •  

Hi

I send you a message on the Email that you provieded me with the error message  

Thanks for helping me

Monday, December 17, 2007 3:38 PM
  • Hi.  It sounds like windows steady state is running the update process.  Windows Steady will run updates regardless of Windows XP autoupdate settings.  Check within the steadystate interface whether or not it is scheduled to run.
    Monday, December 17, 2007 4:46 PM
  • Hi Sammy625,

I have received the screenshot. Thank you for your time and effort on this issue.

The message reads:

"This PC will restart in x seconds…

Enter the setup password below to prevent the reboot"

Based on my experience, SteadyState or Windows XP will not generate this kind of dialog box. I also searched the above message on the Internet. Unfortunately, it seems the message is unique.

Based on the current  situation, I would like to confirm if there is some specific programs on the computer, or the computers are within a specific network environment. We can create a solo computer to test this issue.

In addition, you mentioned when issue occurs, “performing daily maintenance” message also appears. Would you please include the full message? If you have related software installed on the computer or network, we may need to disable/uninstall them first.

Regards,

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 3:08 AM