Acceptable Discovery and State Change Counts for VMM MP? RRS feed

• Question

• I’m finally getting traction in my organization to use OpsMgr.  But that also means tuning my landscape is now more important than ever before.  As such, I’m a little hyper-sensitive to expensive operations that might impact my landscape.

Short story version, on Tuesday I removed the Hyper-V Extension Pack (http://hypervmpe2012.codeplex.com/releases/view/115843) because I noticed a lot of objects going grey.  What original pointed me at the Hyper-V Extension Pack was the “Data Volume by Management Pack” report and the “SCOM Health Check Script/Report” PowerShell script.  I.e. There was a high number of discovery and state changes.

In any case, I’m now looking at the VMM MP for some tuning opportunities.  What I noticed about this pack is that over the last 5 days, there have been about 478,843 discoveries and about 18,788 state changes.  That seems really excessive in my opinion.  I’ve attached some screen shots so that you can see which MP and their respective counts.

So, my questions are:

1. Are these Discovery counts normal?
    2. Are the State Change counts normal?
    3. What counts do others see in their landscape for these two?
    4. If these counts are excessive, any recommendations?
    5. Any other thoughts or conversation points?

I’ve also attached the count breakdown for both Discovery and State Changes if that helps any…

Thanks!

Discovery count breakdown

Count by Management Pack

Sunday, April 5, 2015 9:08 PM