Vista Backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have a problem with Vista.  A very good friend of mine created a backup using Windows Vista.  I believe she created an image of her machine and used DVD's to back eveyrthing onto.

Her laptops were stolen and now she now needs the information that she has on the DVD's, I re-installed Vista onto a machine and use the Advanced restore.  5 of the DVD's have worked, the one that has not worked displays an error message saying.

"Windows was not able to load the selected backup set for the following reason: A valid backup does not exist at the specified location.  Choose a different location. (0x810000F2)  Verify that this location is valid and try again, or consider choosing a different backup set."

I have googled like crazy and have not found anything that helps. 

Although the data on the disk seems intact and I can go in manually and extract the contents the other problem I have is that thet file on this particular disk has split up one of my VHD (Virtual Hard Disks) up into about 15 different folders and within each folder its created 8 separate files of that 1 file(weird!!).  How do i get that 1 file back???

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated. 

Kind Regards

Asif
    Wednesday, March 10, 2010 4:07 PM

Answers

• Hi Asif,

This occurs because the Windows Backup directory contains a hidden catalogs directory which is not copied if you use Xcopy without the /h switch.  Since the catalog files are missing for this backup set, you'll need to manually recover the files by extracting them from the Backup Files #.zip file. To prevent this issue from occurring, use the Xcopy /h switch when you copy the backup directory to a new location. For how to do manually restore backup files, please visit the following KB:

How to Manually Restore Files Backed Up Using Windows Backup

Hope this helps.

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Asif,

This occurs because the Windows Backup directory contains a hidden catalogs directory which is not copied if you use Xcopy without the /h switch.  Since the catalog files are missing for this backup set, you'll need to manually recover the files by extracting them from the Backup Files #.zip file. To prevent this issue from occurring, use the Xcopy /h switch when you copy the backup directory to a new location. For how to do manually restore backup files, please visit the following KB:

How to Manually Restore Files Backed Up Using Windows Backup

Hope this helps.

Dale Qiao
    TechNet Subscriber Support
    in forum. If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tngfb@microsoft.com

Thursday, March 11, 2010 1:18 AM
  • Hi,

As this thread has been quiet for a while, we assume that the issue has been resolved. At this time, we will mark it as ‘Answered’ as the previous steps should be helpful for many similar scenarios. If the issue still persists, please feel free to  reply this post directly so we will be notified to follow it up. You can also choose to unmark the answer as you wish.
    BTW,  we’d love to hear your feedback about the solution. By sharing your experience you can help other community members facing similar problems. Thanks for your understanding and efforts.

Best Regards
    Dale

Wednesday, March 17, 2010 5:24 AM