Laptop wireless card dead? RRS feed

• Question

• I have a laptop here which is not showing the wireless card in device manager. This happened a few days ago I re-seated the card and hey presto it worked again, The user reports it went off not long after when they were moving the laptop.

I have tried re-seating it again several times but no luck, I have tried swaping the card with that of another laptop, the card works fine in another laptpop and the problem laptop does not detect the other card. im thinking its probably the motherboard that is at fault but i was wondering if there was any chance it were a software error. If so what could i try? I was thinking of trying a linux boot disk but im open to ideas?

Monday, April 26, 2010 9:18 AM

All replies

• Hi Plektrum,

Many factory installs have a diagnostic tool\partition that you can run. Check to see if that is available and run if it is there.

Confirm that the BIOS is the most recent version available and if there are any motherboard\chipset updates from the manufacturer.

Then check for the most recent drivers for the wireless network adapter.

Finally, if the issues persists, try unchecking " allow the computer..." in the power management tab in device manager. This is usually a workaround if drivers are not available when the network adapter fails to function after a sleep state.

Monday, April 26, 2010 10:07 AM