Why can't I change the column type or deleted it after I import the excel sheet into SharePoint Custom Listing? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm using SharePoint 2007.

I crated a new list by importing a Excel sheet.  The first 2 columns would not allow for changing column type after I import so I created 2 dummy columns in excel sheet then import it.  I was able to delete one of the column but the 2nd one I cannot delete in SharePoint.  Why and how can I get rid of this dummny column?  Thanks.

Thank you
    • Moved by Mike Walsh FIN Friday, September 2, 2011 3:44 PM aadmin q - make questions impersonal in future (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion (pre-SharePoint 2010))
    Friday, September 2, 2011 3:40 PM

Answers

All replies

• What type of column is that ?

What do you see when you go to List - List Settings - Click on the Particular Column - You do not get Delete Option ?

Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Friday, September 2, 2011 10:14 PM
  • It's a single line text column.  It's not a required field.  There is no Delete option like other columns. 
    Thank you
    Sunday, September 4, 2011 3:24 AM
  • Hi lajasmine,

What’s the name of the column that cannot be deleted? As I know, there are some columns in SharePoint that have no delete button on change column page like Title, Created By.

Thanks,
    Qiao Wei

Thursday, September 8, 2011 12:01 PM
  • Hi,

I'm having the same issue. The name of my column is "Reporting Date", it allows me to change the column name and description but I don't have the "delete" button.

This is happening me just with that column, in the other 28 I have the "delete" button.

The column contains dates and the type was "Date" in the Excel file.

Regards,

Raquel

Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:38 PM
  • Oh, I think I have a possible answer. I think it has assigned that column as the "title" column, so it can't be removed.

Is there any way to remove the column at all? and if not, is there any way to avoid this? I already had a column called "title" but it renamed it to "title1".

• Edited by rakelacosta Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:49 PM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:48 PM
  • To remove the title column , check this link - http://www.codeproject.com/KB/sharepoint/Removing_Title_column.aspx
    Thanks & Regards Posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by laJasmine Monday, September 12, 2011 5:37 AM
    Thursday, September 8, 2011 4:51 PM