SCCM 2012 R2 Secondary Site client assignment RRS feed

• Question

• I have been doing some research and discovered that you shouldn't directly assign a boundary group to a secondary site. This confuses me a little bit and I was hoping someone can clear it up a bit.

Currently my client has a primary site (PS1) and a secondary site (SS1) in their environment. The reason for the secondary site is because there is a site with around 700 clients and that exceeded the comfort level of a distribution point. This site is located in Valley Forge and we want all clients in this boundary group to use the secondary site. Everywhere else should use primary.

With that being said and after reading what I read, should I not directly assign the boundary group for Valley Forge to the secondary site? If not, how does the client know to use it? And better yet, what is the point of having the option to directly assign to SS1 if it shouldn't be done?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:30 PM

Answers

• All clients are always, always, assigned to Primary Sites, never Secondary Sites.  Secondary Sites cannot handle provisioning new client systems - it frustrates me as to why the site assignment option for a boundary group even shows Secondary Sites as possible targets.

Client Systems will use your Valley Forge boundary group to establish that they are within the boundaries of a site system provisioned with a management point within a different site, and they will use this local management point as a proxy management point, ultimately still relying on a functional Primary Site for site assignment and policy requests.

My Personal Blog: http://madluka.wordpress.com

• Marked as answer by Frank TroutMVP Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:03 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Frank TroutMVP Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:46 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I assume you mean a Boundary Group for Site Assignment, Jason Describes it very well here: http://blog.configmgrftw.com/secondary-sites-and-boundary-groups/

Regards,

Jörgen

-- My System Center blog ccmexec.com -- Twitter @ccmexec

• Proposed as answer by PRASHANT9 Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:51 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:38 PM
  • All clients are always, always, assigned to Primary Sites, never Secondary Sites.  Secondary Sites cannot handle provisioning new client systems - it frustrates me as to why the site assignment option for a boundary group even shows Secondary Sites as possible targets.

Client Systems will use your Valley Forge boundary group to establish that they are within the boundaries of a site system provisioned with a management point within a different site, and they will use this local management point as a proxy management point, ultimately still relying on a functional Primary Site for site assignment and policy requests.

My Personal Blog: http://madluka.wordpress.com

• Unmarked as answer by Frank TroutMVP Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:03 PM
    Wednesday, April 23, 2014 2:46 PM
  • Jorgen, thank you for the link. This was the original post I read that rocked my world:) I just wanted to get more info on the subject and make sure it was still relevant.

MadLuka, much appreciate the explanation. Just when you think you know something somebody comes along and proves you wrong. Is there anything that I need to do for the VF clients to establish the understanding that they will need to use the SS like assign it as a site system for content management? Even better should I include all site systems (PS and SS) within that content management so that they will use the PS when they roam outside of that boundary?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:00 PM
  • Think I answered my own question after reading Jason's blog again.

Content Location is an on-going, ad-hoc activity based upon the client’s current network status however. Thus, this lines up with a client’s ability to use other secondary sites or even go straight to the primary site depending upon where it is located network-wise

Thanks again guys.

Wednesday, April 23, 2014 3:10 PM