none
File Server Cluster Backup RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, 

Good day! 

Background: 

I have 2 file servers setup as a clustered.  We setup a shared storage drive for the file servers.   

When server A becomes active, it will have C drive and G drive while server B will only have C drive. 

Once I moved the cluster role to server B,  B will then have C drive and G drive while server A have just C drive.  

Both file servers are installed with DPM agent and backup using DPM.  

We configured DPM to group both server A and server B under the same protection group.  

Issue:  

While server A act as active file server (holding file cluster role), DPM has no problem back up the server.  But DPM always failed to backup server B which is passive. 

While server B act as active file server, DPM will then OK to backup server with no issue but will fail on server A.  

So looks like DPM only manage to backup active file server that in the cluster.  

is there anyway that I could overcome this?  

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 3:14 AM

All replies

• Hi

It sounds like you have selected to protect the file server drive under the individual nodes instead of the cluster resource name.  Also, if you are protecting systemstate under the two nodes, that will fail as you describe since the cluster database is part of systemstate and only the active node can access it.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Tuesday, October 25, 2016 10:04 PM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for reply.  

Is there any setting in DPM that we could set so to avoid backing up system state of non-active node?  

Thanks.  

• Edited by Kitoro Wednesday, October 26, 2016 6:37 AM
    Wednesday, October 26, 2016 6:36 AM